Thread: Maiden Voyage

Thumbs up Maiden Voyage

Well, I just drove a Cobra for the first time and it was mine! I put 11 miles on her tonight. A few grimlins were discovered but I am a very happy camper. I'm not sure that it is ready to make the Saturday morning cruise without an alignment (tires are already feathering ) and it looks like I may have a leaking rear main as well.
    Tomorrow I will get it back on jack stands and take a closer look as well as try to do an eye ball alignment. In all a very good night.

Justin

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Way cool Justin, I hope all turns out for your trip.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

AC Emblem

Hi Justin:

Did you get the AC Emblem we sent you last week?

Juan

Great news, Justin!!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the car.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Congrats! Justin Looking forward to meeting you and everyone this weekend.

Rodney

Does anyone have some advice on the best way to eyeball the front end alignment? I looked at the tires this morning and the insides are feathering pretty bad.
    Also, I will need to raise the car a little. The front tires are tucked in the fenders like a rice rocket and the car looks slammed, it has settled at least an inch maybe even two while on the jack stands. How much ground clearance do these cars normally have? Right now I would guess I have around 2 inches and will most likely have to trim the bell housing to drive any distance.

Justin

Ride height first.

Get a 24" level and set the camber. Hold the level straight up and down touching the sidewalls of the tires. Zero camber (bubble in the center) will get you through the cruise and to the alignment safely. Have the tires aired up so you do not get a bulge on the bottom that throws things off.

Use a tape measure to measure tow in. about 1/8" tow is OK. Each time you adjust make sure you drive or roll the car around and turn the wheel back and forth. Then measure again.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Alignment, toe in, camber, caster, etc..

Justin, make sure you adjust the ride height first, don't try to eyeball alignment, camber, caster, toe in etc. unless you have done it before.

Get it to a local shop that does that for a living. I for one am not very gifted in suchg matters and welcome a professional to do it right with nothing to redo later which can be costly on such a beautiful machine as yours. You will not regret it. I don't know how long or far the cruisng will be so try to get this done before you go to Homecoming. You have worked really hard to get the car done right, don't skimp on this area.

If you only have a 2 inch clearance you really need to get the ride height done first and foremost.

Juan

Juan,

Sadly, I will not get a chance to get the car aligned by a profesional before homecoming. I should say the car is not finished, as I have not gotten the carpets in yet and I would like to re-route some of my wiring, etc. But I will do these things after I get some miles on her. If possible I would like to just get the alignment to the point where I can take the car on the cruise if possible. The ride height has to be raised and I may even need to trim the bell housing, did you have to do this on yours?
    I got the emblem in the mail on Saturday, but I will not get a chance to put it on before I leave for Gadsden. Cheryl and my neighbor Jerry, who has been a huge help in building the car are trying to talk me into leaving the car without emblems and I am starting to warm up to that idea, we'll see.

Justin,

I had to trim my bellhousing and still only have about 3" of ground clearance.

Rodney

Justin, Congrats!Get that ride height up. Then Eyeball your alignment like Brent said.3.5 " under the pan. Cut the bellhousing. Get some new tires. 10 miles and they are screwed already?Good luck.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I raised the front of the car and used a string to set the toe, even found the source of my oil leak and I think I got that fixed as well. The rear needs to come up about an inch, but I don't think I will get a chance to do that before I leave. But most importantly I do think I will be able to make the cruise on Saturday

Justin