Thread: Gas odor in trunk..

Gas odor in trunk..

Havnt been on in a while, trying to get the car registered in this great state of CT......finally passed! Anyhow I did a search regarding a gas odor in the trunk area and sounds like a few people might have had that issue, but havnt found the answer yet. Im double clamped on the filler(both ends)
    Any ideas?

-Mike

Unhappy Gas smell in trunk

Try the gasket on the fuel tank sending unit.
    I glued my carpet down before finding out about the elusive gas smell.
    Now I have to live with it.
    Mike
    Mike Geddes

Mike, I used permatex aviation sealant "Available at any NAPA" on the gasket and sheet metal screws that go into the sending unit. No smell
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Aviation sealant sould do the trick, I'm glad you passed inspection, you have to be releaved.

Alan

And for the gasoline smell in the garage, put a racket ball in the filler neck and latch the cap. Learned that trick from Alan.

Thumbs down

Kelly rethink it I did the same thing. Not a great idea as mine busted and I got pieces of rubber in the bottom of the tank to the point where it blocked the fuel flow. That is another story!! %#$^&*%

Ralph

Hell YES im releaved getting through inspection, all i gotta say is when our DMV supervisor decides to retire/quit these vehicles will be next to impossible to register here in CT......I sealed up the gasket and threads on the screws, will check today to see if it went way. I went around the block yesterday and clocked in my first 3 miles....1 word -> RESPECT THE VEHICLE AND THE POWER IT HAS! unbeleivable....

-Mike