Thread: New Highway Law

Wink New Highway Law

Guys, I intend to write my senators and representatives with this matter of national urgency. We need to get it passed immediately, for the betterment of our hobby! What bill is this?

"Roadkill Safety Act of 2006" - briefly stated, it would make it illegal for any persons or persons, intentionally or otherwise, to strike dead a possum, armadillo, or other as-yet-undefined animal, on the highway, and having done so, to leave the carcass of the aforementioned animal on the highway for it to decompose and then be struck by unwary motorists (particularly in low-slung cars such as Cobras). While it will remain legal to strike and kill the said animals, the motorist will be required to remove the body from the roadway and dispose of it with a proper burial and any attendant honors the animal might be entitled to.

So, has everybody figured out what happened to me???

Location was a one-lane bridge near the house. We had traffic behind us, and I was on the bridge before I saw it - a possum, of the dead variety, quite odiferous in nature. Underside of the car bumped him just enough to acquire that lovely smell...

So, the last THREE afternoons, I've had the car on jackstands, while I've scrubbed, sprayed, wiped, and washed the entire underside. At least I've finally gotten around to getting all the grease and grime off the running gear...
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    sorry to hear that. Good luck with the cleanup...
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

It wasn't that bad, in truthfulness - it just amazes me how bad the smell could be, and we just barely touched it! But, I can say now that my Cobra undercarriage smells better than anyone else's, what with all the orange scent Mr. Clean I've used under there!

To add insult to injury, Opie (the dog) kept sniffing around the car while I had it up on stands. Of course, he LIKED how it smelled!

Made a couple of upgrades yesterday - swapped out the angled zerk fittings on the top control arms for straight fittings, making it much easier to grease the arms. Also, swapped the clear front marker bulbs for amber ones to get the front parking lights looking "right."
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Zach, Glad that possum gave you an excuse to wax your frame without people giving you to much grief.

Do you want to sell the clear marker lights?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Uh Oh... waxin' the frame... look out Rick!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Years ago I was riding my Z-1 Kawasaki out in the country when I came up on a slow-moving station wagon in a long sweeper curve. Just before I swung out to pass the wagon ran over a skunk but didn't hit it with his tires. I did. I think that bike still smells and it's been 20 years!
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

Tony - I didn't change the lenses, just the bulbs themselves. I had clear/white lenses along with clear bulbs, so just switched to the amber bulbs for the time being to be safe.

No frame wax yet, just finally got it good & clean! Just finished giving all the zerk fittings a good snort of grease, so we should be good for the summer.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Smile

So we can assume that it wasn't playing "opossum"
    AL

Tony

from Knoxville calls it possum skinning ---as in ----well I skinned another possum today with my cobra. Will-alabama Oh yea---by gosh, possum skinning is better than running over couches on interstate I-20 like i did one time.

Firefighter extinguishes burning couch in the road...

This the one, Will
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Paul

By golly--pretty close.Will-alabama

Talking Road Kill Law

Zach....
    When I first read your note I figured it was a joke.....But , No, it's real

In Canada we just changed our Road Kill law for Deer and Elk.
    We now have the option to take it home instead of reporting it to the police.

Mind you, most people report it anyway, as the damage to the car or truck
    is so extensive and you need the police report for the insurance claim.

Small stuff like possums...beaver's....skunk's and squirrels never get cleaned
    up......they just gradually dissapate with traffic going over them, then the
    rain washes them away.

So far we ar not required to afford such dead animal a burial that is deemed
    adequate.

Cheers.....Mike
    Mike Geddes