Thread: Voltage Regulator

Voltage Regulator

The Ford Autolite voltage regulator in my 427SC failed recently and I looked for a new electronic replacement. I found a Motorcraft replacement at CJ Ponyparts(1-800-888-6473). Their part number is VR8. The part is an electronic Motorcraft part #5U2J-10316-AA N4CMB. Price is $39.95. It has the same base as the 60's Ford regulator that I was using. It also fits the standard Ford 4 pin plastic connector. The cap is chrome and is about 1/2 the height of the Autolite unit. The cap is easily removed by drilling out the 2 rivets that secure it to the base and a vintage looking cap can be installed with 2 self tapping screws.
    I am totally happy with the installation. It handles load changes far better than the original Autolite unit.

I have a 1965 looking regulator with modern electronics inside.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Geary,

What was the part number for the original piece, in case somebody wants to follow your footsteps... ?

Thanks
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

I have an electrical problem and I think it is the external electronic regulator. My car is draining the battery overnight...DEAD!
    I hooked a test light between the neg cable and the neg battery post and it lit right up. i disconnected the red wire going from the regulator to the relay on the firewall and the light went out, so I am thinking that this regulator is the problem. My regulator says "electric regulator" on the top cover and "F540N" on the backside. I went to the link provided and found the chrome one, part # VR8 on CJ pony parts. New cost is 52.00 I would like to do the cover conversion you are talking about. Any idea where I can I get this cover to do it?
    Thanks ...Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Dave - I had problems in the past with several regulators in my wife's 68 mustang. One of these provided a nice 1965-67 black with silver stamped cover. Unless you want to purchase an additional old style regulator from CJ's just to use the cover, friends with old fords or swap meets are a few options. I wish I had one to provide to you. I am calling some Ford friends to see if I can locate one if you still need it. If you didn't make your VR8 purchase yet I can save you some money. The VR8 Motorcraft regulator can be found for less on a Google search. Search on part number "GR-540-B".
    Amazon lists the part for $28.98 with free supersaver shipping.

- Hope this helps

-Geary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001850.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	2580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001854.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	2581  
    Last edited by Aggressor; April 10th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks Geary, I do appreciate it.
    i did not purchase the Vr-8 yet. I did a search on the number you provided and I cant find anything at all, are you sure this number is good? I would love to get one of those old covers. I will have to keep my eye out at the next swap meet I go to. If one of your friends has one, that would be fantastic...thanks again
    I just found it by doing a search on amazon for motorcraft regulator, popped right up. It does not says anywhere in the description that it is electronic though . the picture they give you is terrible, it is just faded/blank. would you know if it says "Motorcraft electronic regulator" on the cover.
    The one I have in the car looks exactly like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor...=pd_sbs_auto_1

I have been trouble shooting this thing all day. I bought a cheapy in Napa and it sill showed a draw.
    I did however figure out that the key slot in the ignition switch was straight up and down, but this was actually the assy position because it had moved I guess. So all this time when I thought the car was in the off position, it was really in the assy position! There is definitely a draw in this position that kills the battery overnight. As soon as I put it in the real off position, draw seems to be gone. Should there be a draw in the assy position if everything is shutoff, i would think not, so I think something is still wrong. Any ideas?
    Dave
    Last edited by davids2toys; April 10th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Dave - I'm sorry but I had a miskey on the regulator number. The number to search on is "GR-540-B". The Amazon link is below. I corrected it above to avoid confusion.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-GR5.../dp/B000C5DM6M

Your Searches should turn up Motorcraft regulators now. It is stamped Motorcraft (Raised Letters) on the cover and is a full-blooded electronic unit internally.
    What accessories are attached to and are possibly live with the keyed switch supplying power to the accessory side.?
    Make sure that you are charging your battery when running. The above mentioned Mustang problem was caused by a mismatch of alternator(s) and regulator(s). All were Ford units - all combinations failed to charge. It seems my friend - the parts manager - thought he was doing me a favor by supplying alternators which were turning 88+ Amps. The stock Ford regulators supplied were expecting to see a maximum of 45 or 55 amps coming down the line. (Depending on which combo we were trying at the time.) As 88+ amp surges approached the alternator it would "freak" and dump the whole charge to ground. I was running strickly on battery power for weeks as we looked for a solution. We would charge the car overnight - Then drive with minimal accessories the next day. Also we'd start charging earlier on nights when we were going to the gym so we could use the headlights to return. The 68 was actually our daily driver for 4 years. 2000-2004 The electronic unit mentioned above fixed our mismatches.
    -Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; April 11th, 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Good info, thanks Geary,
    Dave

David - Do you still need a cover for the regulator. So far I haven't located a nice one with my Ford friends. I will be going to the Spring Carlisle swap meet next week. If you want me to do some shopping for you let me know prior to April 27th.

-Geary

Yes, I would love to have one of these in great condition and a for a decent price.
    Thanks Geary, that would be great.
    Dave
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    David - Do you still need a cover for the regulator. So far I haven't located a nice one with my Ford friends. I will be going to the Spring Carlisle swap meet next week. If you want me to do some shopping for you let me know prior to April 27th.

-Geary
    I bought one from CJ pony parts...thank anyway.
    now to find some time to do this little project. anything I should know or beware of?
    Dave
    Dave

David - The Ford 4 wire connector that attaches to the vintage style regulator fits the electronic unit. Just drill out the rivets securing the top on the new unit. Drop on the vintage style cover in it's place and secure with 2 small self tapping screws. Then install as usual. The big thing to remember is to run a proper ground wire to the new unit. I attached my ground to the one of the two mounting bolts where they pass through into the passenger footbox.

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; July 11th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.

David - The Ford 4 wire connector that attaches to the vintage style regulator fits the electronic unit. Just drill out the rivets securing the top on the new unit. Drop on the vintage style cover in it's place and secure with 2 small self tapping screws. Then install as usual. The big thing to remember is to run a proper ground wire to the new unit. I attached my ground to the one of the two mounting bolts where they pass through into the passenger footbox.

- Geary
    Thanks for the tips. I think that is the way my present one is grounded so I will just use the same wire.
    Thanks again...Dave
    Dave

David - I attached my ground to the one of the two mounting bolts where they pass through into the passenger footbox.

- Geary
    You grounded your regulator to a fiberglass footbox? That's not going to work. Jer
    Jer

Jerry - I attached a ground wire from behind the dash to a short regulator mounting bolt that passes through the fiberglass footbox surface. Provides a solid ground to the chassis.

- Geary

On mine, it has a small jumper wire going from the regulator mount plate bolt to the starter relay mounting plate bolt right next to it. That same bolt has a thick braided ground wire running down to the frame.
    Dave
    Dave