Thread: Oil Line Routing for 351C

Oil Line Routing for 351C

Neophyte builder here..
    Does anyone have the correct oil line routing for a 351 Cleveland. Car has remote filter and oil cooler. Also where do I pick up oil temp and pressure for the guages? Thanks for your help.

I run a Cleveland in my 289 and have really been more than happy with the set-up. Here's my thoughts:
    Oil temp- the very best place to pick up the oil temp is in the pan. Adduming you have a Canton oil pan, pull it and drill a hole for the tmp sensor in the back side of the kick-out. This location will give you the most accurate reading.
    Oil pressure- on top of the block just aft of the intake manifold there should be a plug (between the bellhousing/scattershield and the intake manifold). Thats the spot for the pressure sensor. Just remove the plug and put the sensor in...no drilling required.
    Hose routing is pretty much up to you. Make absolutely certain you clean and flush out the oil cooler before you hook things up. There can be an incredible amount of debris inside the cooler as it comes from the manufacturer. I would go from the block to the filter to the cooler and back to the block. Hope this helps.

Phil Souza

My remote oil filter housing had provisions for the temp. sensor. It reads the oil temp as it comes out of the block. Seems to work fine.

Also (as I learned the hard way!) make sure you run your lines so that the oil enters the filter at the slotted holes and exits the center hole of teh filter and then to the cooler.

On a 351C you can also run a line from the port where the old sending unit was beside the oil filter to the port in the top rear of the block, this will help get more oil to the cam and lifters.
    Work in Progress, 400+hp 351C CHI-3V Heads, Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black by Greg & Jerry Porter

if you dont want to drill your pan you can install a brass tee in one of your oil lines bteween the block and the filter or cooler