Thread: Holley carb ID?

Question Holley carb ID?

As many of you know, I've been looking to replace the Holley Commander TBI on our FIA with a carb. So, I have wound up having a good friend donate a pair of used Holley carbs to me. Since we've been running Edelbrocks, I'm in the dark about how to ID a Holley. What do I need to look for in order to determine model, etc. about getting rebuild & replacement parts?

Here's what I do know: carbs were installed on Jeep 304. One was on the Jeep when the guy bought it, the other was in a box of parts that came with it. They look similar; my guess is somebody just swapped the newer carb on in place of the old one. They both have vacuum secondaries and side-hung floats.

Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thumbs up

What I would do is buy the Holley Carb right for your car, NEW.

First of all you need a 600-650 CFM Max, I like the vacuum secondaries also on a street car.

I am sure you could rebuild something to work OK but with the price of a new performance Holley (Proform, Quick Fuel) carburetor in the 500.00 range it sure cuts out a lot of problems.

Used a Quick Fuel Tech. 650 , vacuum secondary on Juan's car, out of the box it has been great, just adjust the float level and drive.

Nothing worse than problems with a carburetor, my 2 cents worth.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Agreed - a new custom-tuned is my preferred route, but...

The carb was in excellent shape, so Cy & I decided to tackle it; if nothing else, in a few weeks I'll be able to say that we rebuilt a Holley! (Whether it works, well...) Even if it winds up being an interim solution, it will allow me to get the FI taken out and sold (to finance the custom carb!).

I tracked the numbers down, and found that I was in possession of a 600 cfm model 4160. I pulled the float bowls to see if it was worth going any farther, and they literally looked like new except for a thin residue where the fuel had evaporated out. Rebuild kit was $19, and I tore into it this afternoon. So far, everything has been clean as a whistle. I've got the throttle body section and the main air horn washed out good, and will jump on cleaning the bowls & metering blocks tomorrow.

Now, next question: fuel pump? I meant to look and ask at Homecoming about setups. My intention is to run a good mechanical unit, but I read that a lot of you are running a flow-through electric pump in addition to the mechanical. Can someone shed some light on this? Will the mechanical pump reliably pull from the tank under street conditions? Is the electric pump necessary because of the tank elevation, or is it for extra volume during racing, etc.? I'm just looking at street use, with an occasional stoplight launch, so...?

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Buy a 20.00 rebuild kit for your 600 Holley
    If you build a 450+hp motor a custom built carb will be required.
    A Carter 7psi flow through electric pump will do everything you want it to do. 60.00 with a low vibration mount.
    If you want to put a mech pump on then do that.
    You do not need a mech pump and a elec pump even if you run the car hard.

just my .02c
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

zach,

i'll back brent up on this....buy a decent internal regulated pump,
    cater/mallory etc. i prefer to stay away from holleys pumps,
    little to noisy for me.....

i'm running a mallory 110 and it flows all the fuel i need right now,
    which is enough for 430 rwhp.....

chris
    "Why built it if you are not going to beat on it ??"

Thanks for the input, guys. I've got the Holley rebuild kit, have rearmed with more Gumout, and will jump on the float bowls & metering blocks when I get home this afternoon!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

It's Alive!

Thanks for all the advice & suggestions - the FIA is back in running order today!

Sunday afternoon, I did the largest part of the fuel-injection-dectomy, removing the computer, in-dash wiring harness, and throttle body. Then, for around 12 hours yesterday, I worked on removing the Holley fuel pump, installing the new low-pressure Carter, rewiring the fuel pump using the Unique OEM harness & correct purple & black wire, mounting the toggle switch, plumbing the new pump & filter at the tank, installing the carb, plumbing the engine compartment, and tidying up the remaining wiring. Managed to go through the day injury-free, then cut my thumb while shortening the air cleaner stud with a hacksaw!

Anyway, Dad, Sandy, & I cranked it up and got it running with the Holley 4160 just about dark. It runs NICE! Drove it to breakfast this AM, and it drives really well. Good throttle response, no dead spot in mid-range acceleration, and no surging when just loping along in OD or at low RPM around town. I've still got to properly set the idle mix (though it seems near spot-on), and a few other odds & ends, but it's running great!

Next project is already on the agenda: reroute the clutch tubing to get it away from the exhaust heat, and look into the SPAL fan upgrade. You guessed it - parading in 100+ degree weather will show you the weak points in a car!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Zach,
    What are you going to do with the old Commander 950?
    Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

Hey Paul - I had planned to put up for sale, and then list on Ebay if I didn't have any takers.

Here's what I've got:
    *Commander 950 TBI, complete with wiring harness, all sensors, fuel pump, and fuel pressure gauge
    *Install manual
    *Tuning manual
    *One CD and three floppies with programming on them
    * Laptop with the tuning program installed (has one small nick in the middle of the LCD)
    * System has ~6000 miles of run time on it.

Asking $700, as they tend to bring $450-$500 on Ebay without the laptop. If you (or anyone else!) is interested, drop me a PM or email.

When I took the system out, I tagged the few wires that tie into the car harness (e.g. "Key-on Hot," "Full-time Hot," "Fuel Pump," and "Tach Pickup" were the only four, I think). The other plugs are setup where they only fit the proper receptacle, but I still tagged them by general area (e.g. "Throttle Body," "O2," "Coolant Temp," etc.). Anyway, everything is tagged for easy install.

System ran fine on the car; only hiccup I noticed was a minor flat spot during moderately aggressive acceleration. Starting off under regular acceleration, slightly aggressive acceleration, or full-tilt hammer-it acceleration was fine. Also gave a rock-steady idle, outstanding cold starts, etc. (I guess that I'm just more comfortable with the old-school carb setup.)

I'll post photos of the system tonight under a new thread.

Thanks!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367