Thread: Ford FE - Hot Starting Problem

Ford FE - Hot Starting Problem

This problem seems to be pandemic with the FE's and seems to be a common topic on this and other Cobra/replica sites. I have had this problem since day one of my initial engine fireup in the vehicle. When driving the car it is understood that, while the car turns over fine when cold, there will be an extended cool down period prior to the restart of the hot engine. Hot starting involves slow starter grunts with a slim chance of fireup. The overall answer seemed to be a high torque mini starter.
    Now here's the odd solution to my problem. My Ford starter solenoid recently failed and was replaced by a new unit from a local auto parts store. Since the replacement my car starts eagerly in hot and cold start situations. The starter is still the same hot-groaner from the past???? The only thing I can come up with is that the starter solenoid did smoke a bit when we first fired up my freshly machined FE. It seemed to function properly afterward but I wonder if the heavy duty contacts fried enough to inhibit higher resistance starting when the starter is heat-soaked.
    I'm now a happy dude
    Scenario: Sitting in traffic-Hot Day- Engine stall
    *IS NO PROBLEM MON*
    Weird resolution but I am totally pleased with the result.
    -Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; June 4th, 2006 at 08:16 PM.

I didn't know it got hot in Pa.

Alan

Geary,
    I had a brand new silenoid go bad on my car and i pulled the one off of my need to be restored '64 T-bird. 4500 miles and I have not had the problem you discribe. Maybe you have solved the problem.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I've heard of hot starting problems, and read about them prior to completing my car - so I double wrapped the starter with a heat reflective material and have never had a problem, ever! Just lucky? Maybe, but the results speak volumes (and it does get HOT in CA!!! )
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)