Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak @ oil pressure line....

Leak @ oil pressure line....

After 200+ awsome miles of my life on the car I noticed a oil dropplet on the bottom of the pan, traced it to the plastic line from the oil pressure fitting on top of the pan. Was wondering how many people are running plastic or the copper line? Ill be switching the line out anyway, when running 50-80psi of pressure through the plastic line, it concerns me.

-Finally got the car of my dreams and NO time to freakin drive it!

Unhappy Oil PSI line

I am not a fan of the plastic, nylon, whatever lines. Over a period of time after several heat cycles they tend to leak or crack. In your case, right out of the box. Use braided SS line and AN fittings, best I remember -3 size line.
    One less item to deal with.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

I'm with Rick, stainless braided line...
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Talking Oil Pressure Line

Well, I must be living right.
    Had a plastic line in my 427 since 1992.
    Still going strong.
    Cheers.....Mike
    Mike Geddes

Me and Mike must be living in the same world - no problems with the nylon/plastic to-date.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

No problem

since 2001 and 13,000 miles, but I don,t like the idea of a plastic oil line either. Noticed little plastic oil line on the car Zach bought too.Will change them out one day. Have 351 block at Bill Parhams for cylinder boring, crankshaft alinement honing, lifter girling drilling tapping, and several block stuff. Bill and Susan ,Joan and neighbor Cheryl liked to have talked all day, had to call to find out where they were. Susan had fell in boat fishing and skinned up a leg.Some good folk.Will-alabama

I'm rethinking my previous comment on this thread..... does anyone know what size fittings and tubing to use? While I'm at it - how about the length?

Thanks in advance!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Smile

I am using a steel braided line I had fabricated. I also am running high oil pressure about 60-80 psi. No leaks there, yet.

Ralph

Copper here. But I am an old school plumber. Braided stainless steel and AN fittings for you novice plumbers is great.

Mice and squirrels like to chew on plastic lines.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Phil, Autometer makes a nice prepackaged line, I think 5' in length. Works great - I've had mine ever since my plastic line split one day when I had a total of about 5 minutes of running time; never on the road, just running time. Huge orange ball of flame shoots out of the engine bay, heart in my throat.....
    Yeehah

Talking

Hey Tony I bent my own hard steel fuel lines from my fuel pump to my Fram fuel filter and then to my Holley. no rubber or braided fuel lines. Easy on the novice comment.

Ralph

Thanks TurnpikeBoy,

I'll see is I can find something on their website..... unless of course you have ordering info.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphscott View Post
    Hey Tony I bent my own hard steel fuel lines from my fuel pump to my Fram fuel filter and then to my Holley. no rubber or braided fuel lines. Easy on the novice comment.

Ralph
    Hey Ralph. That's great. I guess we can raise your status from a novice to an apprentice.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs up

Hi, Phil - sorry for the delay in response. The link below is to Autometer's site; shows 3', 4', and 6' hoses, in both -3 and -4 AN sizes. I thought I used a 5', but on review it was a 4', in -3. I have a small block and the pressure takeoff point is on the front of the block; not sure where your bigblock taps off, but I have a feeling one of these will work for you. Summit has it in stock; -3 size, 4' long, part #ATM-3235, $37.75.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...st.aspx?pid=18

Good stuff and worth using. I didn't stop shaking for about 2 hours after that fireball....wife accused me of trying to burn down the car before I even got to drive it.

Best - Roger
    Last edited by TurnpikeBoy; January 30th, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
    Yeehah

Talking Amateurs? - BAH!

Tony, copper?! I used VCT (vitrified clay tile) but couldn't get the oakum to seal under pressure - so I went to cast iron and poured lead joints! Works ok, but can't hit bumps or it's a sudden oil change.......
    Yeehah

Thanks Roger. I got on the Autometer website, asked my question, and received a response the next day - which was the same as yours. If it ever starts raining here and I can't drive the car, I plan on replacing the nylon tubin with braided hose.

Thanks again.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    If it ever starts raining here and I can't drive the car, I plan on replacing the nylon tubin with braided hose.
    It is 24* and snowing here..........garage is about 33*........shortsleeve weather.
    Yeehah

Sorry Roger - mid 60's here, although I'm headed for even warmer weather tomorrow - Los Cabos for some Marlin fishing and Super Bowl festivities.

Thanks for the tip on Summit and the part #.... it is very much appreciated.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeBoy View Post
    Tony, copper?! I used VCT (vitrified clay tile) but couldn't get the oakum to seal under pressure - so I went to cast iron and poured lead joints! Works ok, but can't hit bumps or it's a sudden oil change.......
    Where did you find 1/4" OD cast iron pipe?
    Tony

Oil Line Replacement

I converted from plastic to copper. Never had a problem with either, just like the vintage look of copper. Picked up a package (Advance Auto Store) in their "HELP" section. Has all type of relacement parts - gas caps, oil fill up caps, door knobs, etc. Got a roll of tubing, all the fittings. Was an Orange or Red colored Cardboard with a clear bubble housing all the parts ($6-8.00, cannot remember, but very inexpensive). You will need a mini tubing cutter to cut the tubing to length.