Thread: More parts breakage !!!!

Talking More parts breakage !!!!

wellllll....i'll let the pics speak for themselves.....2 weeks ago i made it
    to orlando speedworld. what a absolute blast !!!!!! i ran a best of 11.47
    at 122. this was the first run of the nite and i was the second guy down
    that lane. my 60' was a insane 1.61,which i think is pretty decent for a
    street driven car w/o slicks .

i made a total of 6 runs,all getting slower the rest of the nite.
    the track was not prepped very well because it was test and tune
    nite, aka "lots of broken junk pushed away" . i have never seen so many
    scattered parts at a track. kinda looked like your favorite junkyard. driveshafts,halfshafts,to much nitrous in an intake,not lifting when sideways
    (that was reallllly ugly). the sad thing is the guy i went with said it was actually pretty dead and on a "busy" nite its even worse. i cant even freakin imagine.

oh well....i made the 6 runs and the car kept falling off. 60' times dropped
    to the mid 1.80's and the car was falling off on the top end. hard. i tried
    dropping my shift points more...didn't help. my clutch was slipping pretty
    good on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts so i just assumed it was from the clutch going out/getting hot. the last pass i only managed to wheez out a 112 mph pass.
    ahhhh the smell of organic clutch material.....makes me dream of twin disc/no slippage clutches. coming soon !!!!

i think my slowing mph was one of the symptoms of my valve springs going
    to the great junkyard in the sky. i have been running in excess of .600 lift on
    both my original hyd roller and now .621 on my solid street roller. 22k miles and i never so much as thought of checking my seat pressure. i probably should have the way i drive . the other springs are all shot. seat pressure
    is below 120lbs. was at 155,390 open. but hey...the new parts were a internet click away at summit. hopefully everything will be here today.

the best part is,i was at my brothers place in titusville for the weekend. we took the car out sat and put 50-60 miles on it terrorizing the town. i had to be at work monday morn(0300) in sarasota,about 160 miles from his place.
    i jump in the car at midnight for the drive,get all the way to bottom of the exit ramp at work and at the lite the car starts missing. i think wtf ????
    no noise,just a miss. limp it slowly the 2 miles to work and shut it down in the parking lot. when the sun comes up i start the car again and notice a very
    faint clicking sound(i must have been deaf from the stereo). pull the passenger side valve cover and before i get it off the inner spring dampner falls on the ground. i never even looked under the cover. put it back on and called the towing company we use at work and said...be here at 1130.

i stopped by the next day to pay the towing company and the owner is a fast car nut. we got talking and he said "you got 60 bucks cash, sounds good to me." for a 40 mile tow !!!!! he also told me anywhere in florida he would come get me if needed,just call......gotta love that !!!!

i will try and get some more pics this weekend....its all i could get for now...

chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve4.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	613  

"Why built it if you are not going to beat on it ??"

You play... you pay ..... and $hit happens

A pretty good deal on the tow - your new best friend!!!!! Hope it all works out.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Wow - and it didn't pull the valve in? Count your lucky stars!

Looks from the pics that the outer broke and the inner kept the retainer in place....that about right?
    Yeehah

Chris:
    Sorry to hear about the valvetrain failure, but man, I'm still blown away by your 60' times! 1.6's and 1.8's with a slipping clutch? Awesome!
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

A few of my favorite sayings come to mind;

"Drive it like you stole it"

and

I built it
    I break it
    I fix it!

Tough luck on the vavle springs, but it does look like you got lucky in that you didn't drop a valve!

Kelly

Chris, you missed your calling... you should have gotten into destructive testing!
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Chris,

Did you ever get the car back to gether and get a chance to go back to the track?

Justin