Thread: Stone Cold Dead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stone Cold Dead

While removing the alternator to install a new high volume water pump, I accidentally grounded one of the terminals against the cylinder head. I had stupidly neglected to disconnect the battery beforehand and now the entire electrical system is dead. The battery still shows a strong charge, but that is it. No lights, horn, instruments and no igntion. I understand that grounding the alternator can destroy it , but does it sound like I fried something else as well? Bear in mind that I still have the Chevy engine in the car and the alternator is a GM 3 wire unit. I have already ordered a new alternator, but in the meantime (about a week) shouldn't there be some sign of life in the rest of the system? What should I look for first? Any help will be deeply appreciated.
    Tropical Buzz

Sounds like you most likely fried the fusible link..... that's where I would start. Mine is located on the battery side of the starter solenoid.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks Phil - I will check it out and report back on the results.
    Tropical Buzz

Well, I checked the fusible link in the hot line going to the starter and it is fine. So the question now is; can I expect to bolt on my new alternator and problem solved, or is there likely to be damage elsewhere? All fuses are ok, no sign of any burned up wires in the engine compartment or behind the dash. Can a shorted out alternator alone halt all power in the rest of the system?
    Tropical Buzz

No, I don't think so.

Power from battery to starter rely. and power to fuse block from there.
    Charging wire from the Alt. connects at the same point. Check your battery cable from the battery to the starter solonoid and the power wire from the solonoid to the fuse box. Also check the ground from the battery to the frame.
    It still sounds like what Phil said.

Buzz,
    Did you load test the battery or just put a volt meter accross it?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Buzz,

Using a volt/ohm meter you should be able to track down where the "open" is. Follow the steps Tony outlined..... start at the battery side of the starter solenoid looking 12V. Tony also had a good point - check for a solid ground.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)