Thread: Chapter 14.7 - Spence Car is Home from the Body Shop

Chapter 14.7 - Spence Car is Home from the Body Shop

It seems that I can't lay low forever using the excuse that I have been on vacation for 6 months...So here's the news. The Spence Car is home from the body shop, this much is true. Here's a quiz, see if you can spot the true statement among the incorrect ones...

1. We decided against the dark blue and went with a flat white paint job with no stripes.
    2. We decided that the Spence Car is the car that just wouldn't be built, and finishing the job would ruin the mystique of the car.
    3. We fired the painter.

Despite all my neighbors which believe number 1, the truth is actually number 3. After 13 months of frustration, we towed the car home after a rather tense afternoon with our painter - finishing the loading of the car into the trailer before broaching the topic of "who owes who what". All in all, I think we got what we paid for; the body work is done, the car is primed, blocked, and ready to spray. Heck, the paint is even in my laundry room. Our guy just couldn't swing the time to get it done and the logistics between his shop and the paint booth 20 miles down the road. What is done looks great, but the unfortunate fact is that it isn't done.

Here's the silver lining though...It goes to another, better painter next Monday for a scheduled 3-week spray session. No more after work, late nights trying to get the car done, this is a dedicated paint shop with exceptional talent...The best part is that it is 3 miles from home.

So that's the ugly story. Again, what we have looks great, it just looks unfinished. Well, I take that back. The bottom of the hood and the bottom of the trunk lid are done. I'll take solace in that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress11.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress12.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress15.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	625  
    Last edited by nolastyankee; August 13th, 2006 at 07:13 PM.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Unhappy Easy Question

What a bummer!

But easy to believe, the body work on these cars is out of most folks control.

Hope the next guy does it right.

Good Luck
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

That is a major bummer! Live-n-learn..... sounds like you are on the right track.

Good luck with the new guy.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

What a bummer -and I thought my 6 months at the body shop/painter was a long time!!!!

Hopefully some of the 2006 season should still be doable if the paint gets done and you put in a good thrash on the guts.

Let me know when the Spence car comes to it's summer home in Chicago/GlenView - I would love to see it.

Dave

Brian, I am sorry to hear about the problems.

Painters smell A LOT of fumes and they are a strange breed for sure.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Brent; August 14th, 2006 at 08:43 AM.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Whew

You all got patience.Virtue and good stuff. Tis a bummer---war I say, Will-alabama

Guys,
    Thanks for the sentiments. It's all part of the story of the car. As long as we finish in this year, it will be done in time for it's 15th anniversary.

Crazy, huh?
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

I can relate to that. I got fed up waiting at the three month level and picked up my body. I had scheduled a start date with a local bodyshop and the owner required a definate commitment from me that I would have my car at his shop ready to go on the aggreed date. I did and he dropped the ball.
    - Geary

for future builders reference. i used bruce bunn of jodeco auto body in atlanta. he picks the body up at unique and brings it back when done, and unique will mount to the frame before shipping so you dont have to worry about damaging. i'm fussy and the work was flawless including all inner panels, buried stripes, no pinholes,etc. price was competetive and delivery prompt.. most shops dont want cobras because it ties them up. this guy has it down because he specializes. jim o.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

I second twanita's comments about Bruce Bunn. He's a super-nice guy who does exceptional work. Too bad they can't all be like him.
    Keith []
    Unique Motorcars 427 SC
    Southern Automotive 462 stroker

Talking Painters

Well, after reading all that good stuff about painters, I am thankful
    that I bit the bullet and painted mine myself....done where I wanted it,
    when I wanted it.
    Cheers......Mike
    Mike Geddes

Brian,

We are all glad to hear from you. The color on the trunk looks really nice, I can't wait to see pictures of the car when finished. What have you been working on the last several months? I know it isn't like you not to tinker or modify the chassis while the body is away.

Justin

Talking

Glad that my son Greg is our bodyman / painter.
    Work in Progress, 400+hp 351C CHI-3V Heads, Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black by Greg & Jerry Porter

Keep the faith Brian... it is going to look great!
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Mike,

Any photos of your car now that it has been out of cold storage for a couple of months?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil,
    I spent the morning at the body shop laying out the FIA stripe on the car. Let me tell you, that side to side stripe is a certified P.I.T.A. to put on straight! Now, give that task to an engineer and you have a ~6 hour exercise.

Bottom line, the car is blue, white meatballs, and will get its 'stripes' today. IT LOOKS UNBELIEVABLE!

As soon as Patrick gives me some more picture space, I'll have photos...
    Brian Carlson

Great COBRA Painter!

I too, contracted with Bruce Bunn of Jodeco Auto Body (Atlanta, GA). If he's good enough the Weaver's - need we say more?