Thread: Acceleration

Acceleration

I have no idea if this is accurate, but it makes an awful exciting read.....

Definition of Acceleration.

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of NASCARS at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 m ph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
    * The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

* Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and
    for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

* The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).
    --------------------------------------
    Putting all of this into perspective:
    --------------------------------------
    You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turboā€¯ powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip the second you pass him. You have the advantage of a flying head start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

... and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I love Torque.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Cool Top Fuel/Dragsters & Funny Cars

I can beleive this, probably the first 5 rows at Daytona though.

I have a friend that is an ex Funny Car Driver & Crew Chief, Dale Pulde in California. Met him through the Harley Davidson stuff, he works on R&D stuff for Edelbrock, Crane Cams, and others.

He invited my wife Cheryl and I up to the Nationals at Indy several years back when he was trying to get Scotty Cannon on track in a Funny Car. We spent the whole day with them at the trailer and at the starting line during qualifing. What an experience to see the whole deal.

Dale started in about the same time frame as John Force, he has a lot of stories to tell. Very humble person as I did a search on the internet to let me in on his career, wow. He took Funny Cars to Australia and ran them, still a record holder there.

Then there is the very atractive Ashley Force, 23 year old daugher of John Force that recently got her Funny Car License at Las Vegas. It took a couple of passes and coaching from John and she did it, over 315 MPH and a 5 second run. Now she is in an elite class where only a handfull of men have ever been. There is a reality TV episode on A&E about Force, his wife, and 3 daughters (17, 19, & 23, they all drag race), It's enertaining, monday nights, 9 PM EST.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Good article Phil.

- Geary

To stand next to 7000hp is unbelieveable. One really cool thing about NHRA racing is that the pits are open to everyone! You can stand 20' from the car and watch everything between rounds. How cool is it to completely rebuild a 7000hp motor from top to bottom in 60 minutes.

Good stuff Phil
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases

I love this little tid-bit.

Thanks Phil
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I used to be a starting line photographer at Englishtown. There is nothing like standing next to starting Top fuel dragster or Funnny car. Trying to hold the camera steady, while the ground shakes.

Top Fuel Team FOLLEY & LEWIS

This year was my first experince with TopFuel Dragsters. Tim Lewis, a member in our car club, invited us to the Super Nationals at Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ. I spent the whole day with his wonderful crew. One cannot begin to explain the excitment these guys and their car can generate. I thought the earth was going to open up and swallow us all. Just way over the top. You think you're fast? Go see this. You'll never forget it!