Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammeter

Ammeter

Normally I don't look at the Ammeter very much. It's always been showing a slight positive charge when running where you'd expect to see it. Today, I noticed it creep all the way up to +60 and then immediately fall back down to normal slight pos. charge. Saw it happen one more time, then it just stayed normal.

Any ideas? An SW gauge issue? And where the heck is the voltage regulator usually mounted on a Unique. Couldn't find one anywhere. Is it underneath on the chassis?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

The regulator is mounted to the back of the alternator if yours is the same as mine. A little solid state jobby-do that I bought from Unique. Transpo F7078 VR Ford 60A CONV. Maybe this will help....

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Same as on mine. Installed it and works great!

My alternator is internally regulated, and has no voltage regulator you can see (unless you take the alternator apart). Maybe that's what you have.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Little tiny voltage regulator on back of the alternator, about 3/8" thick, about 2"X 1- 1/2". Don' t know how long they last, they are in a place with allot of heat.

Rick

Thanks....I think my alternator is the same.

So, you think it may be the alternator going bad?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Mine did that late one night on a very dark backroad between Augusta and Edgefield. It was the regulator. All of the lights would get REAL bright, then they would go completely dim and the car sounded like it was going to cut off. It did this the whole time with me praying we would make it home.

The chrome alternators fail on a regular basis I have heard. Do you have one of those?

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

There is no truth to the fact that chrome alternators fail. Many of the chrome alternators fail because they are cheap items. If you get a chrome alternator PowerMaster is one of the best, they are new manufacture and not a rebuilt with a chrome case.

Rick

Mine's not chrome, and it's the std. Ford alternator supplied by Unique.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay,
    I have had three of these regulators fail in the ten plus years I have had the car. They all failed the same way; eratic charging first, then they would "full field" the alternator so it would charge at maximum untill you shut the engine off, after the engine was off it would continue to supply current to the alternator rotor and run the battery down.
    I finally gave up and put a GM 60 amp "one wire" alternator with an internal regulator on. You can get a new chrome one on e-bay for $80.00. You will have to drill out the mounting hole from 3/8 to 7/16 and drill and tap the adjuster hole to 3/8 NC. You will also have to make a new spacer as the GM mounting boss is shorter or I guess you could add a stack of flat washers if you wanted too.
    It is a perfect solution if you don't mind putting a GM part on your Ford engine.
    Keith

Or you can get a machine shop to put a 3/8" helicoil on the mounting bracket on the heads. Keeps from having to drill it out.The spacer is required, but just a steel sleeve cut to length.

I have the GM one wire as well. The chrome ones last for 1163 miles. Get a powder coated one from Summit.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Thanks Keith....that's good to know.

Should I be concerned that the alternator is bad, or would a quick fix be to just replace the regulator? It is exactly the same as the one depicted in the sketch Phil posted above.

Again, I've only seen the ammeter peg a couple of times, and most of the time it still appears normal. It did just appear Sunday after some heaving idling in city traffic on a hot day.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Clay,

I purchased mine form Unique - here's an alternative that may save you a few bucks... http://www.falconparts.com/One%20Wire%20Alternator.htm

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

I'm using a PowerMaster Chrome Alternator and it works fine with 4700+ miles with a really warm engine bay (428). I also have the Transpo regulator. The Part number is 17078 for the Powermaster alternator.

Ralph

Next time mine fails, I'll get a powermaster. I always liked the look of the chrome alternator.

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected

Advice????

Lights dim when at idle... twin fans slow down at idle..
    351 SA engine... What should the idle speed be set at?

AL

700 TO 1200 depending on your camshaft, manifold vacume, etc.

Brent

Clay,
    The simple fix is to just remove the alternator and replace the regulator with the same kind you have now. The only problem is that it will go bad again. The regulator is so close to the head it can't get rid of the heat and it will eventually go bad again. The regulators cost about $40. and for forty more you can have a new GM with an internal regulator that will be a permanent fix.
    If you can't do the drill and tap modification to the GM alternator any local mechanic can for a few dollars.
    I would not get the 100 AMP version as the wires in the Unique are not sized for that kind of load.
    The only reason I made the change is to keep from having to change the regulator again in the future. I had three fail and I had no reason to believe that another one would not do the same thing.
    Hope this helps, Keith

Thanks Keith, Phil, Ralph and others......I think I'll replace the alternator.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Mine's 800RPM with a 351W. I would think you too have some sort of regulator/alternator problem. Sounds like it is not maintaining over 12V at idle. Could be alternator speed (pulley problem)? The experts will chime in shortly, Al.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
    351W Fuel Injected