Thread: clutch issue

clutch issue

I am having a problem with either the slave or master cylinder. The clutch fluid is black. I can pump the pedal to get enough pressure to change gears but not fun way to go. In addition to changing fluid do I need to replace the master or slave or both? Can these be rebuilt? thanks peter

Peter,

I believe they can be rebuilt, however, if it were me I would replace them (probably less than $100 combined).
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

peter, a few things i learned from the forum. headers get hot.

1. reroute the hydraulic lines over the footbox
    2. run the lower portion of the lines through thermosleeve
    3. wrap the slave with thermoshield and tyraps
    4. fabricate a heat deflector below the master cylinders

there are prior threads showing pictures but if you can't find them i could post a few new ones

jim o
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

I've been plagued with this as well.

I've been dealing with slave / master issues for the past year or so myself. I have a pile of discarded slaves and masters. They can't be rebuilt and yes they are $50 each. I already have my fluid line run over the foot box. I've spoken to Wilwood and they say the discoloration is aluminum shaving due to my over driving the master cylinder piston. I've probably run a gallon of fluid through my system and it always comes out inky black. Eventually the O-rings in both the slave and master are compromised. The most recent failure led to total failure of the clutch control (real joy). I've having a hard time believing it's due to the clutch fluid getting hot.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

what should my plan be?

I thought I would start by changing the fluid-- DOT 3 looks like what is recommended. If that doesnt fix it, exchanging the master, then the slave?

Thumbs up

Tony is right on the money.

The master cylinder has an aluminum bore and when the lubrication quality of the fluid breaks down they wear very fast and that is where the "black" comes from. Just like your fingers look after polishing your wheels (-:

The higher D.O.T fluids have lower lubrication. A fresh master, slave, and DOT 3 and your set.

Move, hide, and wrap averything you can. Do you have a heat shield for your masters?
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC