Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 427 Grille

427 Grille

I am interested an any ideas/suggestions for installing a grille to protect my radiator and hide those hideous pusher fans. I like the look of the screens for the brake duct intakes, but am concerned it may not be firm enough for the size of the opening at the radiator.

Any thoughts?

Steve

427 Grille

Screen wire and velcro!!!! I even saw an add one time where a guy was building aluminum frames, inserting screen wire, adding a few velcro strips and charging about $129.
    Dennis M. Swann

You think the fans are hideous, have you ever seen a 427 car with a aluminum grille. I would suggest taking the fans out and using a high velocity puller fan, the radiator will be fine without a grille.

Alan

I run my car without the front fans. I agree with Alan, the grills look way out of place.

Justin

Thanks gentlemen. I agree with the comment on the aluminum grille. I have seen on the 289 and do not like the look either. I do have a puller fan as well, but it is the "flat" version that fits between the stabilizer bar and the radiator and I have not had the courage to remove the pushers yet. I will try removing the pushers if you feel the puller I will be adequate by itself.

Alan, my ignition swith gave me some fits last week (no signals, tach or Fans). I replaced the ignition switch with one jsut like it, but feel I should try to find a better quality one if you can recommend one.

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by weaver
    You think the fans are hideous, have you ever seen a 427 car with a aluminum grille. I would suggest taking the fans out and using a high velocity puller fan, the radiator will be fine without a grille.

Alan
    I thought it, but didn't want to say it! I'm with Alan on this one. In my opinion, 427 cars look horrible with grilles of any type.

My FIA has the pusher fans, but they don't cool the car worth a crap. I've only got them in there because I do like the look. I've got a spal puller fan that does all the cooling.
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

Believe me, the pushers aren't doing much. It'll be like removing a window fan from Dorothy's house.

(Your results may vary. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Most side effects were minor. If erection lasts for more than 4 hours, consult a female physician. Read the enclosed prospectus carefully.)
    Keith []
    Unique Motorcars 427 SC
    Southern Automotive 462 stroker

Personally, I like the fans (also have a puller to supplement), I like some FIA grills I've seen..... never have seen a grill on a 427 (there's a reason).
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

On the 289 car like Juan's "black tie" cobra I really like the grill. However on the 427 I think the mouth is too large for the grill. To get an idea do a search on grills on the FFROG web page.
    Although my car only has 100 miles on it, I do not have any problems with the cooling with the just the SPAL fan. I have even gotten stuck in traffic, stopped for 20 min the car stayed on the thermostat in 100 deg heat.
    If you would like a larger fan S&S Automotive ( S&S is a Unique dealer) makes a billett spacer that drops the front sway bar enough to put in a thicker fan.
    I go hot and cold on having the front fans, I have kept mine and I like the idea that I can reinstall them and change the look of the car. At homecoming, my wife looked at all the other cars with the fans and told me that she liked them better installed than without, go figure.

Justin

I like the pusher look too. I kept them and added the SPAL behind. They can't help but push some air.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

How about the horizontal bar that was in some street versions of the 427? I thought Unique sold that as an option in the past?
    Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

Steve,
    I have personally not seen a grill that looks good in the 427 models.
    A grill also reduces the air flow to the radiator.
    If your running a FE you need all the air you can get.

Hey Clay, trying to regain your title as top poster?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Smile

I didn't like the way the pusher fans looked on my car at first either so I took everything out . I then had a stainless fan motor bar lazer cut and polished . I had the fan motors and blades chromed . I had a 1/4 inch open stainless screen made which I mounted in frt. of the radiator . I then made all the inserts inside the nose out of stainless and had them polished . I remade the break vent covers and the oil cooler opening out of heavier and a bit larger screen opening .Everything now is very bright and shiny and I will not have to polish it all the time .

Now I like the look I have .
    Rick Findley

Fans

Thanks all. After viewing some of your cars and the advice against the grille. I think I will go fanless with the pushers and forget teh grille.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by traveler
    I didn't like the way the pusher fans looked on my car at first either so I took everything out . I then had a stainless fan motor bar lazer cut and polished . I had the fan motors and blades chromed . I had a 1/4 inch open stainless screen made which I mounted in frt. of the radiator . I then made all the inserts inside the nose out of stainless and had them polished . I remade the break vent covers and the oil cooler opening out of heavier and a bit larger screen opening .Everything now is very bright and shiny and I will not have to polish it all the time .

Now I like the look I have .
    Some Picture would be nice. Please
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

One fancy grille comin up !
    I found this image on the web.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

The "Fly"!!!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

The fly

Actually I like the look of the above grille in that particular race application. On the street it would look terrible.

The 289 street cars look bitchin with the grilles though.

Juan

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond
    The "Fly"!!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm not sure what is more hideous. That grille or the hood scoop.

I love the grilles on 289 street cars such as Juan's, but still have yet to see one on a 427 that looks decent.
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

The Fly!!!

Phil...... good call. You always seem to pickup on the things that we miss.

- Geary