Thread: Seatbelt Help

Seatbelt Help

I have run into a problem with the new SFI regulations for seat belts. It seems that after 2005 the Ybelt style of seat belt used on our cars is no longer SFI approved. If you have a 2005 belt with an SFI date you can continue to use them until the expiration date, but they will not be recertified.
    So, I have to either run a V-belt or an H pateern belt in the car to run at the drag strip, which I pan to do a few times a year.
    I would like to know if anyone has tried to run a belt other than the Y style in a Unique and if so where did you mount them?

Justin

Justin,

I had a local welder fabricate a rectangular steel bracket and I bolted it to the frame. It sits about six inches high in the trunk and I attached the individual shoulder harness straps to it. Hope this helps ...

Bob

Bob do you have any pictures or a drawing of how you tied this into the frame?

Justin

Justin,

I'll get you some details just as soon as I get the car back from the shop; hopefully within a week. (As I recall, I came up through the trunk on each side of the gas tank)

Bob
    Last edited by bstandley1; August 7th, 2006 at 01:28 AM.

Justin, My car, when I got it, had a bracket attached to the roll bar that the seatbelt was attached to. I don't recall if it had a brand name on it but it is a polished aluminum piece that clamped around the uprights on the roll bar. I'm not at home or I would get you a better picture of it. For now this photo is the best I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21939PC130059-med.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21939Cobra_5a-med.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	622  
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Justin,

If you're still interested in the specs on my shoulder harness mounting assembly, let me know and I'll send them to you.

Bob