Thread: 427 side-oiler block

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

427 side-oiler block

As some of you know, I ran across a side-oiler short block (block, crank, and big-bolt rods/pistons) after the hurricane. I lost the toploader and gained the short block. Little did I know that it lived two doors down from me for years! So, I thought about (fantasized of ) having the 427 kit with a real 427, instead of the 289/408 car I was planning, but quite frankly we need a house more than either of them.

I tore the engine down, and thought that it would need a couple of sleeves due to rust. I showed it to Maurice, and he said he thought it would build, but agreed that it needed the sleeves. I sent it to Bill at Southern Automotive to check out. For some reason, it had been a marine engine (even though it is a true side-oiler), so I wanted to have it evaluated to see where I stood with it. According to Bill, he had it "acid dipped and shot peened," and it is ready for machining, but he wants to sleeve out all 8 to be sure it will build strong. He said he had it in the machine room waiting to be done, but at about $100-a-hole I am out-a-there. He mentioned that the crank and rods had some rust pitting, so I am not sure if they are usable.

I am not forced to sell it, but I need to be realistic. Compared to a small block, a side-oiler is an expensive toy to build. If I ever get the chance to have a car, it will likely be the small block (and that is just peachy by me).

So, could this make someone an interesting starting point for an upgrade or project? I realize that it is not a top-dollar piece, but it is the real-deal. Y'all know our situation down here, so I would ask for some help in determining its fair value. If I part with it, I would surely hope to get a fair price for it, just as someone making a purchase would like to make it at a fair price. This would also give the Unique family first dibs...

I suppose that I could always save it for a rainy day... but it went through Katrina, so that is a very scary thought!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Question 427 side-oiler

What was Bill's offer???

note: side-oilers were used in marine and commercial applications. They were not just car engines.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

I'll give you 50 dollars and a coupon for buy one Burito get one free at Taco Bell.

Just kidding.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

That's the perfect project engine for anyone who owns an engine shop or similar. As you said, the side-oiler is a very expensive engine to build. Hardly any parts are cheap. Owning the specialized equipment necessary for the build-up would be a huge discount for such a business owner. I'll ask around my area. I know a few gear-heads around here.
    Keith []
    Unique Motorcars 427 SC
    Southern Automotive 462 stroker

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    It has been spoken for, thanks... oh well... easy come... easy go.

I know, I know, they say it will get easier with time.

WAH HAH HAH !
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear