Thread: OT: Please educate me about trailers

OT: Please educate me about trailers

Hey guys. I have an enclosed car trailer on my "to be purchased" list and need a bit of education. "Carry-On Trailers" manufacturing is located in my town and I'm thinking about them to support local business. Unfortunately, I don't know much about trailer and am looking for some help.

The one I'm looking at is 8.5 x 20 with 2 5000lb axles both with electric brakes, plywood floor and interior, a side door, electric lights, roof vent, and diamond plate on front corners. That trailer is $5,200 new. For an additional $250 the trailer includes a second door for driver's door.

There is also an 8 x 18 plus V-nose with 2 3500lb axels and similar specs as above. That one is $4200.

How do there prices sound? Which size is right? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    JP

Been reading the forums and various websites, here's what I found to be ideal. Please confirm thoughts.

8.5 x 20 (... originally was thinking about 8x18, but most references say 20+ is best)
    2 torsion axles - 3500lb min, possibly option up to 5000lb
    double spring assist rear door with ramp flap\
    Drop axles or beaver tail for low clearance cars
    36" wide min. front door
    15" radial tires
    Grey color helps hide dirt and streaks
    v-nose or slope top or air dam (aerodynamics)
    Interior light(s)
    Roof vent(s)
    Front ATP Stone Guard

For the tow hitch, Class III + weight distribution + anti-sway

My current front runner is a "8.5x20 V Nose front, HD Ramp, plywood interior, electric brakes, 15" wheels, 5 year warranty" for
    $4488: http://www.cargotrailerunlimited.com/specials.html
    Last edited by patrija; October 8th, 2006 at 07:38 PM.

Kelly is the only person with a V-Nose that I know of, and he said that the trailer can get pushed around by the wind because of the V. Kelly does have a Ford Heavy Duty pickup, so the push would be more evidant on a half ton vehicle.

Justin

Drive It.
    Just kidding.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

trailer

If I were you I would leave the V-Nose alone and also the trailer with the sloped roof at the front. Both can have very bad Aero effects on the tow vehicle. The length of 20-22' is ideal, stay away from roof vents, get side vents front and rear, think they are called 5 way as they open facing forward or rear. I like the 8' wide for the Cobra if your going to haul other type cars the 8-1/2' is preferred, 15" wheels and 3,500 lb axles is my choice.
    I like the vinyl floor with diamond plate tracks for the wheels and a diamond plate ramp with beavertail.
    Call Butch Capps, Mid-South Gear, he's a trailer dealer and Unique owner,
    can price you out a trailer and give you some sound advice, 1-865-5244800 (work) EST.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Tony - It's definitely a driver, a quick look at all the paint chips will confirm that!

Rick - Interesting info on the V-Nose and sloped roof - my research shows very differing experience from people on whether it's "good or bad". I like the sound of those side vents. I'm leaning towards 8.5' because I've toyed with selling and taking my car hobby another direction. I'll give Butch a call.

A few years back they tried all kinds of nose shapes on semi-trailers and found it works best to put the areo items (spoilers air deflectors etc) on the tow vehicle and leave the trailer nose flat. Jerry
    Work in Progress, 400+hp 351C CHI-3V Heads, Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black by Greg & Jerry Porter

JP

My 2 cents worth. On the open road with no traffic the v-nose trailers pull great. But on an interstate with lots of traffic (18 wheelers, large trucks and vans) they suck. As a truck passes you or vise versa, the spoil air off it hits the nose and it is anybodies guess which way it will push.

Brent had the best analogy I've heard; as you are driving down the road, make a fist and stick it out the window facing the wind, next open your hand where all 5 fingers are pointing into the wind. The fist was stable whereas the pointed fingers wants to dart from side to side.

I've pull both types of trailers and if I had it to do over again I would buy a 20' by 8 1/2' blunt nose.

Kelly

Thanks guys. Looks like an 8.5 x 20 flat front is it .... of course Mr. Murphy (and the wife) says the bill I just got for a roof leak has to be paid first. Always something!

Quote Originally Posted by patrija View Post
    Tony - It's definitely a driver, a quick look at all the paint chips will confirm that!

Rick - Interesting info on the V-Nose and sloped roof - my research shows very differing experience from people on whether it's "good or bad". I like the sound of those side vents. I'm leaning towards 8.5' because I've toyed with selling and taking my car hobby another direction. I'll give Butch a call.
    Then it is settled. Use your Cobra to tow the trailer and your next car hobby.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear