Thread: Precautionary Measures - Good Winter Project

Precautionary Measures - Good Winter Project

I don't know if any of you have experienced what happened to me, but I would highly recommend you use safety wire on the bolts that hold the backplate in place that the front calipers bolt to - it mounts to the spindle assembly.

Recently on a drive in the foothills I heard a chirping sound in the front left wheel when applying the brakes. Upon further inspection I discovered that two of the three bolts that hold the backplate in place had back out and were rubbing on the backside of the rotor. Fortunately, I discovered this before any serious damage was done. The bolts have holes for safety wire, which is now in place. I also used safety wire on the two bolts that hold the caliper to the backplate.

In order to perform this task, it is necessary to remove the calipers and rotors - about an hour for the both sides. When removing the grease cap beware (Wilwood) - it is threaded (Thanks Tony!!!) and comes off counter clockwise very easily once you know it is threaded
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA150002.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA150005.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	739  
    Last edited by pgermond; October 15th, 2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: added Wilwood
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil, I've seen that happen once before on Ralph Long's car at Taledega Grand Prix circuit (5-6 years ago). I posted some pictures some time ago when I did my big front brakes job you can see what all I wired.

Ralph

No problem Phil. I am glad you got it off OK. And back together.
    Looks like a winter project for me.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Ralph,

I do remember your.... er, brake upgrade (it has been awhile back), but I must have missed the safety wire. IMHO it is a must - any bolt that has a hole in it gets wired from here on out!

Tony, If it weren't for your post regarding the threads I probably would have sawed it off by now (still haven't gotten a reply from Wilwood).
    Last edited by pgermond; October 17th, 2006 at 02:44 PM. Reason: corrected spelling - brake for break
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil,

I had the same problem occur this past summer. I second your safety wiring advice!

Bob

This is something on my list once the weather turns. Do I need to drill holes in the bolts for the safety wire or are the holes already there? thanks peter

Peter

holes are already there, we start putting all brake components back together tonight--have roll of wire to do what ya,ll are talking about, have disassembled and inspected everything very carefully. Wilwood is a little slow to respond--disclaimers all over everything you buy from them and language to the effect you sre solely liable--responsible, for this stuff.Will-alabama

thanks much-- have the safety wire-- should be good to go. just need some warmer weather