Thread: Remote Oil Filter Lines

Remote Oil Filter Lines

Hi,

Have a 351 Cleveland and am confused as to routing of lines to/from the remote oil filter.

Remote filter is mounted standard place, has INPUT plainly marked. Does the hose that feeds the filter come from the front hole or the rear hole on the block unit? Is there a difference between small blocks and big blocks?Clevelands and Windsors?

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Talking Remote Filter

The filter kit normally comes with a screw on fitting that goes where the
    standard oil filter would have been.
    It will have an inlet and outlet threaded hub for the hoses that go to your remote unit.
    Your regular in sump pick up and oil pump are routed to the standard
    oil filter location.

Cheers...Mike
    Mike Geddes

sometimes the fittings don't indicate in and out i am sure someone out there knows which is in and out but if you can't figure it out try this: connect both hoses to the block disable the ignition USING A HELPER CRANK OVER THE MOTOR AND JUST LOOK FOR WHICH LINE IS FLOWING OIL

I DON"T WHAT I DID BUT I CANT GET THE CAPS LOCKS OFF

Steve,

This diagram should answer your question.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Steve, If you are still unsure remove the block unit and study it carefully, one of the fitting will link to the center fitting on the block (the one the filter would have screwed on to), just make sure that the hose you hook to that fitting is connected to the same center fitting on the remote unit. Phil's diagram is for an FE engine, they used an adapter between the block and the filter, your Cleveland should be the same as all the small blocks in that the filter screws dirrectly to the block.
    Last edited by RJacobsen; November 18th, 2006 at 09:23 AM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

The oil comes from the engine into the ring of small holes around the top of the filter and out through the large center threaded hole into the engine. Look at your adapter to see how the holes relate to the filter. My 396W has a black adapter that's round on the top and square on the bottom with a big brass nut that attaches it to the block. The outlet closest to the front of the motor goes to the filter, filter to cooler, cooler back to rear inlet of adapter. If your braded oil lines come in contact with your brake lines (like mine does) you need to put something between to prevent the oil lines from rubbing through the brake line. I used a short piece of rubber hose.
    Bob

Steve (graycobra),

How did you make out with routing the lines?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Remote Oil Filter Lines

Well, it finally makes some sense to me now. Thanks to all for your responses. All lines are now connected, and all surfaces that may rub have been handled.

Car is progressing nicely.

Thanks again.

Steve