Thread: Fuel filler hose

Fuel filler hose

Where does one go to get hose that runs between the fuel tank and the filler cap? Mine is slightly too short.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Got any marine supply stores around you? They carry lots of hose in big sizes, and fuel-resistant to boot.
    Yeehah

I smell gas

Thanks Turnkpikeboy. I found a piece at a local auto parts store to the tune of $1.75 per inch. It's funny, but I've been smelling gas for months and thought my carb was too rich. I noticed gas dripping from the rear end of the car yesterday and upon further investigation saw that the filler hose was disconnected from the filler neck (up top). The hose is too short, but I've been able to make it work by carefully centering it on the two necks and clamping it tight. Fortunately it stayed connected on the fuel tank side, but came disconnected at the filler. I guess gas sloshed out of the tank when hard cornering. The line is so stiff, it stayed aligned with the filler snout so filling up was no problem. I took her out for a spin this evening after changing hoses and I smelled no gas for the first time in ages. Happy day!
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Thumbs up

Wheeee! That would make for a serious pucker factor.....hope you're not a smoker, Tony.

I also have smelled gas in the trunk, but found that the hose clamps weren't real tight. Pulling them up gorilla-style seemed to put an end to that. However, have found out that auto-x'ing the car, or even just good hard left hand cornering, will slosh fuel out of the cap, too. Discussions with Alan about this confirmed that the cap is vented, and will allow some fuel to splash out under these circumstances. A squash ball under the cap does the trick here.

Glad you got 'er fixed - this coulda been kinda gruesome!

Roger
    Yeehah

Tony,

Happy to see you got the situation correct. For future reference (if you are interested) - NAPA Aviation Form-a-Gasket, Item #765-1210.

When I was building my car I read a few topics where guys were smelling gas in their trunk - either from leaking filler hoses, or around the sensing unit. The solution most used was this product. I used it in both locations and have never had a problem.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Fuel Hose

I bought a replacement from NAPA Auto Parts and then cut it to length.
    Dennis M. Swann