Thread: Wiring question

Wiring question

I am starting to finish my DPK and am told wiring is first. Advise time right up front. I am not using the key start method but rather the "racing" style where a toggle switch is used to make the system hot and a second switch used to engage the starter. Does anyone know how to route the wiring from the included ignition switch to the two toggle method???

Thanks in advance.
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

Sorry Ric, I can't help you, however, the question has been asked and answered a few times over the years. Have you done a "search"?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Search

Phil,

Being relatively new to the forum I was not aware of a search the archives option until your note. I will try the keyword method and as you said and hope to get good results.

Thanks for the advise.

I do hope someone with any current knowledge of my question will still sound off on this thread.

Ric

Ric,
    I set up my car with an "off, on, on" toggle switch and a push button start switch. Both switches were purchased from Finish line.
    Once you have the switches and an ohmmeter, I can talk you through the wiring.
    Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

Ric,
    Do you want to power your ignition toggle switch from the key switch and then power your starter switch from the toggle or from the key switch?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Set up Answer

Good questions from Pseim and Naumoff. What I going to have is a momentary toggle switch to engage the starter and an aviation style toggle switch to engage the electric that will feed the power to the momentary toggle. I am trying to figure out where to route all the other wiring that is on the current key switch. I am trying not to lose the ACC abilities of the wiring harness. I am sure it can be done but experience is my best guide right now, (someone elses).

Thank you.

Ric

Take the purple wire(#23) off the keyed switch and put it on your momentary toggle.
    That is the wire for the starter. Run a new wire from the IGN. side of the key switch to the Aviation toggle to power it up apon turning the keyed switch on for ignition. Then come off the Aviation toggle to your momentary toggle.
    I installed a push button starter on my car.

The Keyed Ignition switch is marked. IGN, ACC , and BAT.
    The middle lug is for the starter and your purple wire should be on it.
    Last edited by Naumoff; November 27th, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony,
    Thanks for adding the details - I'm away from my car for a few days anyway.
    I eliminated my key switch altogether and used the off, on, on toggle switch to take it's place. The first "on" is the same as accessory, the second "on" is ignition, then the push button for the actual start.
    For security I have a "battery brain" that, with a remote, will drop power from the battery. It is also supposed to monitor the battery and drop it out if there is a drain.
    Paul
    Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

Ric,
    If you want to eliminate your Keyed switch you can do what Paul did or just add more switches. BAT can go to a master switch then you can feed a switch with all The ACC wire and a switch for the IGN. wires. Just make sure the switches can handle the amp draw of each circuit.

Paul, no problem.
    Tony

I used a terminal strip to connect the multiple wires. That way I only had single wires going to the terminals on the switches.
    Paul
    Vancouver, Washington

Several ways it can be done

I installed a 30A relay that turns on with a red covered toggle. hooked to the relay is all Bat connections on one side and when energized it powers all the assy items. I installed a Finish line momentary start button for the starter wire. It looks clean utilizing 1 new hole for the covered toggle and the push button start mounts in the same hole as the old ign switch. Hope this helps.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Great Feedback

Yep, looks like I am close to getting a good picture of what I want. Since no ignition key will be in play, I will utilize the terminal switch or 30 A relay from the flip up toggle. Then run the starter wire to the momentary toggle.

Is a 30 A relay an off the shelf parts store goody?

Thank you for proving again the forum's worth to a fledgling builder.

Plenty more questions to follow.

Ric