Thread: Went to the Dyno

Went to the Dyno

My new .82 trans went into the car last Wednesday night and I made it to the Houston Cobra Club Dyno Day on Saturday.
    At the rear wheels my car was making 415 hp and 415 torque with a nice fat torque curve. The motor was out of the box without any tunning, so it turned out to be way lean, over 14.5 A/F ratio. because of the A/F and not having any jets we couldn't put any more timing in the car, so 30 was max. The timing started at 28 because of the compression and just by going to 30 (2 points) the car picked up 5 hp and 15 lbs of torque.
    There is a lot of tunning left to do, but I am going to wait until I get some more miles on her, she only has about 250 now.

Justin

I say you have a little bit of horsepower going for you.
    AutoX must be a a hand full and a half.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony,

I haven't made it out to an autocross yet, but I am looking forward to giving it a go soon. I have been a little surprised by how well the car can put the power to the ground for some cheap Sumitomo tires ($110 for the ears and $80 for the fronts).
    What tires are you running for auto X? I read an article on grassrootsmotorsports. com about a true street tire shootout, and they seemed to really like the Falken, I think I will try those one day.

Justin

Justin,

I Was just thinking about tires this morning.
    I will be calling a local DC tire shop called Radial Tires. The Owner will pick the best tires for your car, weight, HP, type of suspension etc. This guy was suggested to me by many guys at the AutoX events.
    I can't give a good report back on my tires for I have only run twice in the AutoX but I do make it around the course. I am also loooking at getting a competition seat as I am having a time of holding myself in the seat by the steering wheel while I am trying to steer.
    I have Goodyear stock car specials (very hard compound) and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.
    I am also impressed how well the Unique Cobra puts the power to the street. I don't have the traction problem that I hear from a lot of other Cobra owners. Maybe it is the reversed radius arms which is unique to Uniques.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Let me know what he picks for your car. Did you get a set of 17s for Auto X?

How do you like the 3:31 gear for AutoX?

Justin

Justin I am going to wait on the 17" wheels. I need a Competition seat first and i will run a set of 15" tires he recommends. If I have more grip and can't stay behind the steering wheel I will be in trouble. I will let you know what he recommends and will ask him about 17" tires too.

3.31, 26.5" tall tire and second gear in a close ratio top loader seems fine.
    Last edited by Naumoff; December 19th, 2006 at 05:42 PM.
    Tony