Thread: Breathers

Breathers

I have a quesion regarding breathers - I have a SA406 that has a breather cap on the intake manifold where oil is added and a vacuum hose to the rear of the manifold to the carb. The engine does not have breathers on the valve covers. The engine does consume a bit of oil - is it a good idea to add breathers to the valve covers as well as the rear of the manifold to cut down on oil consumption?

homer,
    If it doesn't leak oil I wouldn't mess with it.
    I was just at SA and Bill said what you have is enough.
    I would change the PCV valve in the back of the manifold which is attached to the vacuum line. If it is bad it could be the reason for the oil consumption.
    Last edited by Naumoff; March 7th, 2007 at 04:15 AM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs up Breathers

With an FE engine you can't have enough.

I disagree with Bill, here's why. He's an engine builder who dosn't want you whining about oil leaks. So stick a PCV Valve in and create negative crankcase pressure, no rear seal leak or other pesky leaks at least for 1 year until the warranty is up.

Now what is happening, the PCV Valve is in an unbaffled valve cover and it's sucking with engine vaccum and guess what, that's where your oil is going along with the crankcase emmisions. Your intake valves are going to be all gooked up with oil. The rear intake placement of the PCV is much better with the original style breather basket, or a valve cover that has baffels made for a PCV valve such as Blue Thunders, and others.

I don't run a PCV Valve so I am not sucking any junk up in my engine but I am running 4 breathers to get the air to the engine crankcase. Look at the old pictures of FE Racing engines, that had all kind of breathers and no PCV valves. And I am not saying PCV valves are all bad they accomplish negative crankcase pressures, some placements of them suck, such as unbaffled valve covers.

Thats my 2 cents worth.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Thumbs up

I'm with Rick on this one. I have a breather on the back of my intake and an oil filler into my intake with no vents on my penthouse valve covers. I am in the process of adding vents to my valve covers 'ala Rick. Run my car 7 years and time for a little breathing in the valve covers to reduce internal pressures that force oil out.

Ralph

Homer

give it some air, needs to breath, unreal how much ring blowby in an engine, right into crankcase and needs evacuating. This is wednesday---well thats my two cents worth. Good luck.Will-alabama

thanks - the underside of my air filter cover has a nice oil slick on it - cant hurt to switch out the pcv valve and add breathers on the valve covers - I presume its easy enough to remove the valve covers drill holes and add breathers to each side - my concern was "too much" - however it sounds like its better on the margin and worth a try - btw are small oil leaks a part of life with and fe????

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    thanks - the underside of my air filter cover has a nice oil slick on it - cant hurt to switch out the pcv valve and add breathers on the valve covers - I presume its easy enough to remove the valve covers drill holes and add breathers to each side - my concern was "too much" - however it sounds like its better on the margin and worth a try - btw are small oil leaks a part of life with and fe????
    That is what I hear. How small are they?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear