Thread: Are Secondarys Working

Are Secondarys Working

I pulled my plugs today and noticed the 2 front ones on each side have a reddish color and the rear 2 on each side look brand new (approx. 6000 miles).
    It appears to me that the back cylinders are not getting much gas which brings me to the question "are my secondarys working?" It a Holly 750 with vacuum secondary. The diaphram will hold a suction. If I blow compressed air over the little hole in secondary ventura it should open throdle but it doesn't. Any one had this problem?
    Bob

i don't think there would be any correlation between secondaries and rear cylinders. the intake manifold will distribute fuel evenly whether it it is a small amount from the primaries or larger amount from all 4 barrels.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Bob,
    you might have blown your diaphram with the compressed air now. It is a very light diaphram designed for vacuum in inches of Hg.

Was the car running good?

Fatting up the Idle circuit on the secondaries a half a turn.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony - when I passed the air over the hole, the linkage never moved, but I will check to see if it will hold a suction. I had replaced the Holley main body with a Proform main body and the motor really perked up but now it's a little flat. I'm going to check with Proform to see what they reccomend.
    Bob

Went to Holly web site and they suggest to check to see if secondarys are working to put a paper clip on the diaghram shaft with it pointing up and touching the bottom of vacuum. Go drive car and see it paper clip has moved. I guess when the weather warms up, I'll try it. Still don't know about spark plugs.

On another forum (as if you need another), a user made a bracket to connect two micro switches to the secondary linkage and wired them to LEDs in the car. They would indicate when it started to open and when at full open.
    Last edited by pbrown; December 27th, 2006 at 08:11 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator