Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: general maintenance question

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    90-100 Ft Lbs
    Thanks Rick,
    Would you happen to know if the studs are pressed in or screwed in with LH threads, I have 1 that wont torque, it appears to be spinning.
    The stud has an allen head on it.
    I was thinking of backing it off with a vice grip, putting red loctite on the threads, then tighten it back down, let it sit for a day, then put the wheel back on and try torquing again.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Anti-seize is a must on the lug studs. I had one seize on the front. Liked to have never gotten it off. The left hand lug threads stripped in the hub and with the brake assembly on the car it was almost impossable to get a wrench on it. Had to cut a wrench in half, work like the devel to get it on the nut, have someone else push the brake pedal, and had to stand on a breaker bar with a cheater pipe which was the pole off of the floor jack.

Always use anti-seize!!!!!!!!!!

What are lug nuts?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by bittentoo View Post
    Anti-seize is a must on the lug studs. I had one seize on the front. Liked to have never gotten it off. The left hand lug threads stripped in the hub and with the brake assembly on the car it was almost impossable to get a wrench on it. Had to cut a wrench in half, work like the devel to get it on the nut, have someone else push the brake pedal, and had to stand on a breaker bar with a cheater pipe which was the pole off of the floor jack.

That sucks about the anti seize, another project when I have time!
    how about the torque on the lug nut, somebody just posted in another thread that the torque 65-70 ft lb, and he got this info from compomotive
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by bittentoo View Post

I have an Allen head on the stud
    Dave

I do an annual go around and a quick check any time high speed will be involved. When I find something that does come loose, I look at why and make a change so that is does not come loose again. Marking the fastener and the surrounding area where possible allows a quick visual check to see if the fastener has come loose.
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Quote Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
    I do an annual go around and a quick check any time high speed will be involved. When I find something that does come loose, I look at why and make a change so that is does not come loose again. Marking the fastener and the surrounding area where possible allows a quick visual check to see if the fastener has come loose.
    excellent advice...thanks
    Dave