Thread: Reverse gear gate

Reverse gear gate

I have a 4 speed toploader. My shifter has a fake gate release on the shaft to replicate the original look I guess. Is there linkage/parts, or a method to add a gate to the reverse linkage to avoid a mis-shift into reverse? I did this tuesday by acccident. I went form second to reverse and then a clockwise spin. this scared the sh_t out of me and the guy to my left.

Steve

Steve,

What shifter are you using? I am using a Toploader with a Hurst Competition Plus. The throw to reverse requires quite a bit of effort and could not be accidentally selected by mistake. To hit reverse from second at speed I would have to pause in neutral and lean left on the shifter to complete the shift.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 30th, 2006 at 09:08 PM.

Third is up and out.
    Were you down shifting to first? you can't shift into reverse on the run. It will grind like mad. Maybe you shifted into first which will lock up the wheels.

I have the same set up as Geary.
    As far as I know you would have to get an original Ford shifter to have the reverse gate lock out work.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Question

With a Hurst Competition Plus there is no way that could happen if the linkage is adjusted correctly. If I tried I coulnt do that!!!
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

At the speed I was going 30-40, I doubt down shifting inot to first would have locked up the wheels.

Steve

Steve
    Just to clarify, you were upshifting from second to third..or attempting down to first?
    I don't doubt your experience but to make a logical sequence of the events to get to clockwise rotation is difficult.

- Have you checked the shifter for "gate" alignment with the alignment pin. While I don't believe you could be out far enough to allow a diagonal throw it's good to check the basics.

- Although you would hate to consider this possibility:
    Due to the severity of the rear wheel lockup, could there be a loose item in the transmission that jammed a gearset as you shifted? Example: a roller bearing that shifted during counter shaft installation or pieces of worn/broken parts.

Probably not but I'm brainstorming for possible causes.

-Have you examined the drive line for anything that is loose, out of place, tightness and security of all fasteners, cables, drive shaft, any areas of close clearance, any massive chunks of big-boned road kill?

To quote Mr Spock: "When you eliminate the impossible, that which remains—however improbable—must be the truth.”
    - Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; January 2nd, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

I was (attempting to upshift from 2nd to 3rd). Everything shifts smoothly now, and have had no problems since. I was just assuming from my spin that I made a clumsey move witht he shifter into reverse.

You most certainly can spin by going back into first while trying to shift into 3rd. I did it in my Aunt's 85' Thunder Bird (Which became mine at 16) when she was teaching me how to drive a stick at age 11.

Justin

Is she still around to teach me how to drive my standard:-)

Steve C in Bealeton, Va.
    I love the Flying Circus. I need to get the family back out there this year.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I have lived there for 5 years and have yet to go. Call me when you head that way. They have a car show there every year too.

They have a web site. I need to check the schedule. Car show would be a great time to go.
    Las time we were there they had the DC Radio Control Plane club putting on a show too. VERY VERY COOL
    I will check there schedule and call you when we are going.
    Tony