Thread: Build update and some questions

Build update and some questions

Its been about six months since I've been on the Forum site. Selling a house and moving into a new one (with a partially built Unique at Public Storage for a while) really slowed my build progress. I'm back at it now, and I think it's about 90-95% complete. I'm about ready to fire the motor for the first time. I need to bleed the clutch, put some anti-seize on the header bolts, add fluids and it should be ready. This site has be a tremendous help during my build. The knowledge in the Unique family is truely amazing. I'm definitely a novice builder, but I've tried to work slowly and carefully. I don't think I've made any big mistakes; at least not yet. And both daveg and gerry (unique owners in the Chicago area) have been a great help. Now, I need some help from Forum members on the following questions:
    1. I got some 80w90 gear lube and friction modifier. Reading some Forum threads, I'm a confused because some appear to use the 80w90 in the transmission (mine is a toploader and I've got an SA 351w), and in the transaxle as well. Some use 75w Castrol in the toploader and 85-90w Castrol or Exxon in the transaxle (I can't find these at the NAPA and Advance stores I've been using). I guess everybody has their preferences, but how important is the type of transmission and transaxle lube you use. Can I use the 80w90 in both?
    2. How much coolant do you put in the cooling system (Griffin radiator)?
    3. Given the tight location of the master cylinders, what's the best technique for filling the masters without spilling brake fluid on painted surfaces?
    4. Where can I find weather strip adhesive?
    I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

P.S. Here are some pictures of my progress to date.

DU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra copy.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra copy2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra copy3.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	819  

The car looks great!
    That is the fun part. Everything you do shows serious progress.

You will get multiple suggestions on Toploader fluid. I always use 75W90 Valvolene in the street and track applications. Never had an issue.

I ran 2 gal antifreeze (orange)
    1 bottle Redline Water Wetter
    Distilled water to fill

I used a plastic bottle with a tall cone shaped spout. Kind of like a rear end grease bottle only a lot smaller.

3M Weatherstrip adhesive from any parts house.

Have fun!
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

I can speak to seeing Dick's car and it is really coming along.

In regards to the brake fluid, Gerry had a chemical squirt bottle that looked something like the one below with the fluid being pulled up from the bottom of the container. Made it real easy to reach under and squirt rather than pour something. Dick - I sent you and email - I will be out in Wheaton on friday night, could bring an extra bottle Gerry gave me and give you a hand (or foot) bleeding the brakes.

Lastly for the rest of the forum group - since brent is my role model - I made the jump for the "wive's car" project, see attached image. I needed something to do in the garage this winter. 69 Convertible Mustang - just pulled out the interior and working on the brakes. I am keeping the Cobra though....

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottle.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	825  

Dave,

I am jealous. All I have done so far is collect parts. The '69 vert is a beautiful car.

Keep posting pics of your progress.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Transmission and transaxle lube recommendations

Thanks for the input to my recent thread. Does anyone have recommendations on transmission and transaxle lubrication? I've have some 80w90 lube for my toploader. Can I use the 80w90 with a friction modifier in the transaxle, or should I be using something else?

I use 80W90... make sure it has GL 5 on the label.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    I use 80W90... make sure it has GL 5 on the label.
    Is this for the rear or the transmission?
    I want to do both myself
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Richard, I use Exxon Super flo GX 80/90 in both the toploader and the differential with 1-1/2 tubes of Trans-X Positraction (7-10oz)

Check my Blog Lil Cobra under reference information to see if there is infor that can help you (My car has a 428 engine so the engine related stuff is different) I also live and drive the car in TN

Ralph
    Last edited by ralphscott; September 14th, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Add item

A friend of mine want to give me 2 new bottles of royal purpl 80-90w with the friction modifier already in it for 10 bucks...can I use it in the jag rear, if yes, how much will it hold?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

If fit meets the specs that have been specified, then yes. One and half (1.5) quarts. If you aren't sure, then go to NAPA and spend some $.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    If fit meets the specs that have been specified, then yes. One and half (1.5) quarts. If you aren't sure, then go to NAPA and spend some $.
    I thought Royal purple was a synthetic and somewhere along the way I heard not to use synthetic in the rear...I could be wrong on both counts!
    Dave

Synthetic Gear Lube

According to the resident Jag (Dana 44) expert, Butch Capps.

Don't use synthetic gear oil in the differental, same story on the toploader.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

don,t

use synthetic, and don,t fill rear to flowing out filler hole--oil level should be pointer-finger digit below the hole.When that old oil gets hot-it expands-breaches seals in stubs and presto--oil soaked brakes next door, clean up and change pads.Will-alabama

I use Moroso Climbing Gear oil with Amalie or GM friction modifyer in the rear with Red Line 75W90 in the Top Loader.
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    According to the resident Jag (Dana 44) expert, Butch Capps.

Don't use synthetic gear oil in the differental, same story on the toploader.
    Yes, I thought I saw this somewhere, that is why I asked...thanks
    Dave

Turkey Baster

I use a turkey baster to fill the cylinders. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
    I use Moroso Climbing Gear oil with Amalie or GM friction modifyer in the rear with Red Line 75W90 in the Top Loader.
    Isn't redline synthetic???
    Dave

Ditto on the turkey baster with a little tube extension

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    Isn't redline synthetic???
    Yes. Some like it, some don't. Hard to go wrong with good old valvoline 75w-90 though in the toploader.
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Semis and heavy equipment have been using automatic transmition fluid in their rearends, wheel bearings & manual tranys for some time but you have to find seals that will hold that verry thin oil in.
    Now some racers are useing it also. They claim it not only lubes better, it runs cooler, has less drag, and makes tranys shift easier.
    Work in Progress, 400+hp 351C CHI-3V Heads, Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black by Greg & Jerry Porter