Thread: Door Stops/Rubber Stripping

Door Stops/Rubber Stripping

I am trying to work out the annoying rattles created by the doors hitting the body while on bumpy roads. This leave rub marks in certain spots. Any ideas on where to find rubber stops or stripping that can help absorb the impacts?

Steve Cook

Door Stops

Check out www.soffseal.com and order a catalog. They have rubber bumpers and weather striping in all shapes and sizes. Some is even pre-glued.
    Dennis M. Swann

Steve,

You might want to check the door height adjustment. I raised the door by loosening the top allen head adjustment and tightening the bottom adjuster. I ended up raising the door about an 1/8" and the door stopped rubbing on the body. Hope this helps.

Bob

I machined a small ammount off of the shoulder of the bolt that allowed the bolt to tighten. Even when the two allen head shoulder bolts were tight the door could be moved up and down.

I did not have a rub issue after that.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Steve,

You really didn't give us much information to help answer your question as to why your door is rattling. We don't know if you have weather stripping on the door now, where is it hitting, have you tried adjusting the door, etc., etc.

If you loosen the hinges you can add shims to change the position of the door. You can also add thicker weather stripping so you have to use more force to latch the door when closing it. Both of these techniques solved my rattling problem. Here's another place to find weather stripping: Steele Rubber Products http://166.82.96.3/homeframes.html

Jer
    Jer

I do have the standard weather stripping but still have a few points between the door and the body where impacts occur when on rough roads or bumps. After making sure the doo was visually aligned with the body, I applied some rubber stripping along the points where a saw rub marks on the paint. This has done the trick and everthing is tight.

weather stripping

mmm. i dont have weather stripping. Where can I get some that fills the gap? what size should I use? thanks peter

I first used half inch half round weather stripping and it was not adequate. I removed it and replaced it with 5/8 inch half round and it fills all the gaps and keeps the door from leaking rain and rattling now. I bought mine from Steele Rubber in the Street Rods section of their catalog.
    Last edited by Jerry Cowing; January 15th, 2007 at 10:42 AM.
    Jer

thanks - i just ordered the catalog. do you know which part# you used and how did you attach? glue? thanks

Hows this for a car with weather stripping?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Peter,

I'm glad you asked me to look up my order number because I gave you some bad info. As they say when you are getting old, the first thing you lose is your memory and I don't remember the second thing :-).

I actually had 3/8 inch half round and upgraded to half-inch half round Steele Part number 83-0130-73 (15 ft) which was enough to do both doors. My largest door gap was on top of the door where it meets the dash. The 3/8 seal did not fill this gap and caused a leak when driving in the rain. The half inch solved this problem. It also made my door fit tighter and illiminated some rattling.

Glue the weather stripping to the door and not the body so it is not apparent when you open the door -- it looks better. The 3/8 was attached with glue and the 1/2 inch came with a glue strip which is holding well so far. One thing you have to be careful of when installing the weather stripping is to get it far enough inside the door so it doesn't squeeze out of the door gap when you close the door, but not too far so it doesn't seal properly -- dry fit it a couple of times before peeling the tape off. If you inadvertently place it too far out and it squeezes out the door gap, you can add black weather stripping glue to the side of the weather stripping that folds over when the door is closed. Then as you close the door gently push the weather stripping inside the gap using a credit card or something soft and leave the door closed until the glue has dried. This technique will insure the weather stripping doesn't squeeze out during future door closings.
    Last edited by Jerry Cowing; January 15th, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Jer

thanks

Thanks Jerry -- I ordered their catalog.