Thread: LCD Brake Light

LCD Brake Light

Has anyone used or made a tail light from some type of LCD light. I'm looking for a little stronger source of brake light for my FIA than the bulb type.
    Bob

Bob, I used the LCD bulbs that Auto Zone carries and they seem to work fine except for the brake light portion. Running lights were brighter but when I applied the brakes they did not light up enough.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Lightbulb FIA Tailights

There is no problem with your bulbs on the FIA taillights.

Your problem is there is no reflector so when the tail lights are on the whole trunk area is lit up. Check it out.

Just make you a reflector that diverts the light out the tail light lens and that will solve your problem. Not a problem with the 4 tail light 427 cars because of the round taillights.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

One of the first things I did when I got yhe car was made a curved piece of aluminium as a reflector to go behind the bulb. On one side I even put some reflective tape. Couldn't tell much difference between two. There was a guy at homecoming with a red FIA from Mayyland, I think, that had some kind of LCD tail light bulbs. I've though about going to a junk yard and find a recently wreaked new car and take out the light and wire into mine.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    There is no problem with your bulbs on the FIA taillights.

Your problem is there is no reflector so when the tail lights are on the whole trunk area is lit up. Check it out.

Just make you a reflector that diverts the light out the tail light lens and that will solve your problem. Not a problem with the 4 tail light 427 cars because of the round taillights.
    If you don't want to go to a great bit of trouble fabing up a metal reflector but still want to try this idea, just go to your closest fishing shop that has supplies for fly tying. You'll find sheets of adhesive backed reflective foil that looks for all the world like it's engine turned--available in silver and gold, to boot.

Who knows, if the open back is the problem, the adhesive backed foil might just solve the issue for good. I can verify that when used for tying flies the reflective tape creates quite a flash while in the water.

Doug
    YD,E./PNB

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." (Daniel H. Burnham)

Doug - that's a good idea. There's a hair stylist next to my office and I'm always see these women with this bright shinny foil in their hair. Maybe I can get some of that to use?
    Bob

FIA tail light

Hey Guys,

If you are talking about LED bulbs bear this in mind. The light from an LED bulb is directional, so you need to fab a reflector that is shiny (I used a piece of polished stainless steel) then put a hole in it directly behind the lens portion (not the reflector portion) of the tail light lens. Mount a bulb holder there to use your new LED bulb. I'd post a pic but my car is bundled up and stacked up on my lift. I'll show you at the Homecoming if you're interested.

Mike
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

Mike - where did you get your LED bulb? All the LED's I found are very small like a car security light or they come in a sealed light packs with 6-8 (6" x 2" for trucks).
    Bob

LED Lights

Bob,
    I bought the bulbs at Advance Auto Parts. They are neat little bulbs that have a bayonet base to replicate an 1157 type bulb. they use several LEDs clustered together and are about the same size as a regular 1157 bulb. Use red bulbs not white. White LED light passing through a red lens will shift frequency and appear pink. I believe I still have my pattern for the reflector. I can email a scanned copy of it to you if you want it. Buy a new 1157 bulb holder and mount it so the bulb shines into the center of the upper half of the lens, as the lower half is the reflector. You can leave the original bulb holder and bracket in place. The reflector slips over the existing studs and attaches with two new nuts. If you don't like it, the whole thing is removable and nondestructive. The new LED bulb just clears the top of the original bulb holder. Pretty slick I must say. Wire the new bulb holder with the "tap on" style connectors and even the existing wiring is not upset.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Del; February 1st, 2007 at 04:14 AM. Reason: additional info
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor