Thread: FIA 16" Spal Fan Installation

Thumbs up FIA 16" Spal Fan Installation

For those who are interested here's what I did. Parts: Spal 16" Slim Fan Puller #30100400 (jaycorptech.com). Fan Mounting Bracket 2 Pc FMB2 (alumrad.com). Fan Mounting Bracket Style 1 #30130010 (jaycorptech.com).
    In photo of brackets, top is what comes standard and bottom is Style 1. I turned fan with flat sides on top and bottom. Used the standard brackets on top and put them in fan slots upside down (see photo). Used Style 1 on bottom to get as much room between fan and sway bar. I could have bent the top bracket to fit on front side of hood bracket beam but it was easier to slide it between the hood bracket and the fiberglass beam ( other way would require cutting out a piece to fit around the bracket welded to top of radiator). The bottom bracket slides between the bottom of radiator and top of bolts. The 2 clamps hold it tight. Once I had my dimensions, I took to steel fabricator and had them bent. I had to shorten the bottom two carriage bolts in order for the fan to slide over them. The top bracket is drilled and the top radiator support bolt goes through. My fuse box had a spare 20 amp fuse (position #2 in diagram) with a wire that ran in same harness as wire that went to pusher fan switch. I just purchased a switch from Weavers and installed a #12 wire in the harness that goes to front fans. The fan will operate without the ignition switch on. If you want the fans to operate only if ignition switch is on then you can get the Relay #FRH Kit. They come with thermostat control or not.
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 001.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 003.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 006.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 008.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	875  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 009.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 010.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 011.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 013.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	879  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpalFan 015.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	880  

looks like a nice set-up. i plan on doing it this winter. how much was that bracket from alumrad? they don't show prices. was the fan cheaper at jaytech? jim o.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

Bob,
    Looks like a nice/clean installation.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I don't have the receipts in front of me but the best I can rember is the Fan was around $68. and the alum bracket the same. The relay kit is $35.
    Bob