Thread: Part 7.1- Drive Shaft Loop

Part 7.1- Drive Shaft Loop

I went to the local speed shop the other day to get a drive shaft loop. My plan was to purchase a universal kit that had the nicely rounded pieces of steel and then modify it to fit my car. I had in my head that this thing would run about $25.00 (I’ve seen them online for that), so when I found out that the one they had was $50.00 I decided to go to plan B. I purchased a 5’ length of 2”x ¼” flat steel (about $7.00) and found enough bolts and nuts in my garage (maybe another $3.00) to build one. I made a wooden form to bend the steel around, clamped everything in the vice and without heat bent both ends of the steel into nice ½ circles. Some careful measuring and some cutting, welding, grinding, and drilling and here is the result.

To be continued…
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Rod,

Nice work! ... and I particularly liked the seat belt bracket you fashioned.

Bob

My drive shaft is cocked at way more of an angle. Your's appears to be close to a straight line. Is that a Jag IRS backend?
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Tony, The picture makes it look straighter than it is. Yes it is a Jag rearend.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"