Thread: Part 4.1-Foot Well Modifications

Part 4.1-Foot Well Modifications

I’m not sure why I can’t leave good enough alone, but with a project like this why not add some more stuff to the list. With the foot box rebuild done I was able to get a feel for just how much foot room was down there. I knew that it was limited but with size 11’s its very limited. I did make the foot well portion of the foot box slightly deeper during the rebuild but noticed that for me the width was not comfortable. After looking things over this is what I did.
    This first picture shows the frame area that surrounds the foot well. I have circled the 2” angle iron that is next to the left side of the foot well. This piece I cut off the frame.

I then cut away an inch of the full length of the angle iron to make it a 2 x 1 angle. I added an inch of 1 x 2 tubing to the ends where it attached to the frame and welded it back on. The outer edge is now in the same location but the inside is 1” wider.

I then cut away a section of the floor to prepare for widening the foot well.

Last edited by RJacobsen; March 1st, 2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Formed up the new section.

And finished the fiberglassing.

The area marked in red is a section of the dash support brace that I cut away to make the work easier.

To be continued…
    Last edited by RJacobsen; March 1st, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

Very clever work Rod. Keep us posted. Looks good!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

I was hoping for a few more comments on this change I made. what do you guys think? was it unnessesary? did I rebuild the foot boxes wrong the first time? or are my feet just too big?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod,

I think it's a great enhancement ... of course I'm sporting a set of size 13 shoes!!!

Bob

Rod,
    12EE here and I would have to try it out to let you know. I have a way of putting my feet in the drop well and it isn't a problem for me. Crossed heels. Plus I have short legs and I use the bump-in for the side louvers as a dead pedal.
    More room can't hurt though.

Nice work. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Naumoff; March 5th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thanks for the input Guys, With size 12's and 13's out there I guess I'm just a whinner thinking my 11's would'nt fit.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod,
    Maybe we should call you "Little Feet".
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear