Thread: Rear Coilovers REMOVAL

Rear Coilovers REMOVAL

I'm replacing my rear coilovers (x4) with new springs. Do you need to remove the whole spring/shock (Carrea), or can you replace the spring without removing the whole shock? Maybe just unbolt the bottoms, remove the adjustment collar and replace spring? I notice a large bolt/nut, at the top, holding both coilovers to the chassis. I don't believe there is enough room between the fiberglass trunk and where the bolt threads thru, to actually remove the bolt and remove/replace the coilover.
    Would appreciate any help or shared experience.
    Thanks!

You should not be able to run the nut off of the bottom of the shock and remove the spring that way. The nut is usually put on from the top and it will have a shoulder on the bottom.
    You need to take the shocks off to do it.

Sorry,
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Springs

Brent is correct, the shocks have to come off, very easy to do.

When you put everything back make sure the shocks are vertical, if not change your shims around and you may have to add .060 shim washers to get everything set up correctly.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Top Bolt, Rear coilovers

Thanks for the info, guys.
    Do I assume then, that the top bolt that holds the top of each shock (x2) in the rear of the car, will just pull out, clearing the body? Looks and measures real close. Bottoms of the shocks come right off with just nuts to untighten.
    Good tip about the coilovers being verticule, guess one doesn't need any pressure (laterally); just up and down.
    Cannot wait to get the new springs in. I have raised the collars on the origianal Carrea's (300lbs)to the point that I have no suspension remaining. Makes a good drag set-up. Launch and GO! Real tight on the highway though, I can fell every crack in the road.
    I love to play with this car!

Wink Shock Removal

Tip:

Take the top plate loose, 4 bolts, then you can remove the large 5/8" bolt.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear