Thread: Do you use fuel preservative?

Do you use fuel preservative?

In the off season, do you use a preservative in your fuel? Does it matter if your mixing your fuel with racing gas? Does racing gas and it's higher octane rating break down less? Not at all?
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Scott,

My car doesn't usually sit more than 2-4 weeks without being driven in the winter, so I've never had the need for a fuel preservative. You may recall that I use a 70/30 mix (91/110) from a 55 gal drum of 110 I purchase. I asked the distributor (Sunco) if I needed a preservative for the drum because it takes me months to go through 55 gallons. He said no. He supplies a number of raceways in CA so I figure he knows what he's talking about. Now lawn mowers, chain saws, portable generators, etc. are a whole other story.... for them I say yes!!!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Wink Fuel Additive, Racing Fuel

Scott,

If you adding at least 25% Racing Fuel your good to go. The racing fuel will have a shelf life that is at least triple to the unleaded pump gas. I use about 40% race fuel to winter my car with a full tank of fuel. The full tank cuts down on condensation. I even do the same with the Harley over the winter.
    I personally don't like stabilizers in High Performance Engines.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Fuel over winter months

I live in New Jersey, and the Cobra sits for many months (unused). My 427 is designed to run on high test pump gas. I'll put Stabil in the tank come fall - read the directions on the bottle. Seems to do the trick for the last three years. I also agree, keep the tank full for less condensation (water in the gas).