Thread: Any FIA guys running 10" rear wheels?

Any FIA guys running 10" rear wheels?

I'm still doing some research on my pending wheel change. Any of you FIA guys running a 10" wheel on the back, and if so, does it fit without any clearance problems?
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

Russ,

If you're referring to tire section width, I run 275/60/15 Hoosier Street TDs on the rear for track use, and they have an 11" section width. No problems at all. If you really mean a 10" wheel - - -
    Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

I did a double take too... but I'm sure Russ is referring to tire width.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Sorry guys. Yes, I was speaking about the actual wheel width being 10", not the tires. I am looking pretty hard at those bolt-on FIA wheels from the other thread, and while Alan told me that the backspacing would work, he said that they have never run a 10" wide wheel on the back of an FIA.

What I am basically wanting to make sure of is that once I have tires mounted on these wheels, that A)the tires won't stick out from the fenderwells, and B)that there won't be any tire rub when going over bumpy roads or under hard cornering.

I realize that much of that actually has to do with tire size vs. wheel size, but at the same time, the FIA fender well is only so wide, and the larger wheel will allow the tire to expand more, thus possibly causing me clearance issues. When I switched from an 8" wide rear wheel to a 10" wide rear wheel on my '66 Mustang, I had clearance problems even though I was running the exact same 255/60 tire on each.

Silk, what size rear wheels are you running those 275's on?

Maybe I should have worded my question differently: Are any FIA guys running a 10" wide rear wheel, and if so what tire size are you running and are there clearance issues?
    Last edited by Russ Dickey; March 16th, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

My wheel in the rear is a 17X10.5, with a 315/35/17 tire. I do not have any problems with rubbing, and the wheel tucks in the fender well quite nicely.

Justin

Justin's rear end was narrowed 3" to except the wheels he bought so you can't go by that.

Alan

I didn't know that. I thought they just automagically fit.

There was another guy at homecoming in 05' with a silver and black fia that had 315s on 11" Compomotive bolt on wheels. Maybe Alan can get you his phone number and you can see what back spcaing those were.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Dickey View Post
    Silk, what size rear wheels are you running those 275's on?
    9 1/2 x 15 Trigos.
    Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Russ,
    There is a picture on Club Cobra of a 427 Unique running those Compomotive FIA wheels. I looked at them at one time before we went the Trigo route... Anyway the CC picture looked like rear end accepted them just fine. Not sure the difference on the Unique 427 body width and rear end width however...
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"