Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel tank & filler venting

I would make it another 2 inches higher. Just look at the top of it in realtionship with the fuel filler, If you had fuel in the filler neck up close to the cap which would be higer? If the fuel in the filler neck gets higer than the vent it will push the fuel out the vent.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Possible Solution

I drive a 427 S/C, but I might have an easy solution for you. Why don't you try running a 1/8" copper tube down the inside of your filler tube. Make it long enough so that it extends just past the bottom end of your filler tube (just guessing, but let's say 3 feet long for an FIA application). You want to keep the bottom end of the copper tube out of the gas in the tank, but long enough that it extends past the end of the filler tube into the tank's air space. Attach the top of this copper tube to the inside of the filler cap frame so that when the filler cap is closed the top of the copper tube is sealed against the rubber gasket.

Reasoning: When filling your tank, the air is being displaced and pressurized by the fuel filling the tank. The air has to go somewhere, so if you give it an escape path, other than the filler tube the fuel is passing through, the air can escape and not burp back up and out of the filler tube. When filling the tank, the incoming fuel will pass down and outside this 1/8" copper tube and the air will simultaneously pass up through the inside of the copper tube thus deceasing air pressure and preventing burping.
    Last edited by Jerry Cowing; April 9th, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
    Jer

I made my own gas tank vent and charcoal filter out of black pipe and fittings and a vent limiter from a natural gas regulator.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Try these folks: www.mcmaster.com.
    Bill Stradtner
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

Thumbs up

Thanks, Bill, looks like they may have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    I made my own gas tank vent and charcoal filter out of black pipe and fittings and a vent limiter from a natural gas regulator.
    Hee, hee, heeeeeee.........plummers..........didja put the wax ring under the seat?

-Roger
    Yeehah

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeBoy View Post
    Thanks, Bill, looks like they may have something.

Hee, hee, heeeeeee.........plummers..........didja put the wax ring under the seat?

-Roger
    Yes. On the passenger seat with a hole cut in the middle.
    No messy clean ups after I give someone a ride.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear