Thread: Strange

Strange

I had my car out for the first time since last year and I noticed a strange vibration when cornering and accelerating. I put the car on the lift checked all the suspension points looking for something loose and found nothing loose but I did find this. Would it make sense to install rubber bushings against the frame to allow some flex? Every time you accelerate I believe you stress these two supports. They are directly attached to the headers/ engine/ rubber motor mounts, your engine flexes from side to side and stresses these out. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sidepipe.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sidepipe2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	912  
    Last edited by Master; April 14th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Cool

Scott I guess you have checked your motor mounts?

Ralph

Thumbs up

Scott,

Eliminator and I used a 3/16" thick piece of rubber conveyor belt. We cut it into 1.5" round pieces with a 5/16" hole in the middle. It did work well. Actually removed quite a bit of vibration just at idle too.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Scott,

I used a rubber radiator mount that we use in the forklift business. It is round about 1" in diameter and about 1/2" thick and then I thightened it down to compress it to about 1/4" thick.
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

If your has been sitting for a bit you might have flat spots on your tires. It happens to my cars all the time.
    Mike

From Jodina, "I like the vibrations at idle".....

Scott, fix it and get ready for Homecoming!

I've always solid mounted mine as they come from Unique.
    This is the first image I've seen of a broken mount. This is a good question to toss back to Unique as to what they recommend. From their experience base and customer feedback, Alan and Maurice are your best resource for info on what's happening to their products in the field.

-Geary

Actually

had one break off with stock 302 engine, they will work loose, on passenger side, took it to Maurice, welded it back in place. Those four bolts holding the exhaust does need something rubber between , I didn,t do that onnlast go round, but glad to see you all have good ideas about it. I will go look for some rubber to put there, oh yeah, I have broke some of those bolts off in frame before, and I never have hossed around, ours has the small engine powder puff compared to ya,ll with big engines.Now with pumped up 351 think I better look for some rubber for those bolts this new engine will have a bit more torque than we are use to.But, yes, we have had all kind of stuff happen with sidepipes, and they will make one heck of a rattle when loose or bolt break off, always been on passenger side. Will-alabama

Broke

one time and making one heck of a noise rattling down road---get a lot of looks when good looking car like ours is cutting a rusty, like some old rattle trap.Had bearing in rear drivers side wheel start squealing just below marysville tennessee coming from pigeon forge one year held speed to 50 all way home so i could hold it if bearing went out completely, boy, drew a lot of attention all way. Didn,t stop rest of way home, made it, . If you haven,t had a rear wheel to go take it from me, it wobbles like crazy and you have to get it off road immediately, it will wreck you, ruins the intire housing assembly and have to replace aluminum hub-bearings all.If it can happen ,me and my buddy Joan have been there. Carry rollback phone number in handy place. Will-alabama