Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persistent fuel pressure problem

Still having the same problem. I have been completely through the fuel system. The fuel pressure problem was related to the fuel pressure guage. Its filled with silicone indicated low pressure. I popped the plastic stopper on the side of guage and now it reads constant 5-7 lbs. So I think now I am chasing an ignition problem. I replaced the coil and will be replacing the MSD box tonight.

I am eager to here what the problem is once you figure it out. From the begining it sounded like the pump was overheating but with the simptom being the same before and after pump replacement, that does not seem likely. I would indeed lower the pump so that it does not have to 'suck' the fuel out of the tank. Like some one already pointed out, they are generally not great at that. Plus, if I recall correctly, a constant flow of fuel through them is often how they are cooled during operation.
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Still having the same problem. I have been completely through the fuel system. The fuel pressure problem was related to the fuel pressure guage. Its filled with silicone indicated low pressure. I popped the plastic stopper on the side of guage and now it reads constant 5-7 lbs. So I think now I am chasing an ignition problem. I replaced the coil and will be replacing the MSD box tonight.
    It is not the MSD box. Try replacing the magnetic pick up coil in the distributor.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

The magnetic pick up should ohm out at around 700 ohms. Even if it tests good I think that I would replace it to eliminate Gremlins and it only costs about 30 bucks.

But this sure does sound like a coil problem.

Could it be the ignition switch?

finally fixed

It was the magnetic pick-up in the distributor. When the temp rises it shorts out.

and, thanks everyone for all the help

Thumbs up

Great. Now back to having fun.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

dang

what we going to do now?