Thread: Need advice on seat upgrade for bad back

Need advice on seat upgrade for bad back

Hi all,

I've put about 1,500 miles on my car since Maurice delivered in a year ago March.

But frankly, I just can't get in to the car nearly as much as I want because my back just hurts too much after I live in the '60's vintage seats for an hour.

Does anyone have any recommendations on seats that they've seen or used that offer "modern" lumbar / bolster support ? I realize that the visual balance is tricky, because I want all the goodness of modern seats, but preserve the look of the cabin.

Thanks in advance,
    Ross Garber
    Austin, TX

Unhappy

Ah.....the Holy Grail for this car. There have been several fixes posted in the past - might be best simply to do a search on seats.

That said, there really doesn't appear to be much out there that will provide those aspects you look to preserve. Usually, it's a dimensional problem to overcome. I put Cobra Classics in the car, and while they're very comfortable and ultra-supportive, they put me way too high up and just don't look quite right. The Backdraft-make seats look pretty good, and seem to be about right dimensionally, but I have no idea whether or not they're comfortable.

About to go into a rebuild of the stock seats......at least I know they fit the car, visually as well as dimensionally.

Good luck on your quest.

-Roger
    Yeehah

If you have some girth the stock backdrafts are to narrow.

A vintage comp seat. I was fine with the stock seat but when I autoX it wouldn't hold me in place from side to side. The comp seat is more form fitting to your body and more comfortable in my opinion.
    it will also put you down in the car another 2 inches.
    Last edited by Naumoff; May 28th, 2007 at 07:04 AM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Talking

Tony - vintage, as in Kirkey?

Have been kinda afraid to try those seats since they use a cover over the aluminum bucket - which doesn't look to comfy for nice road cruises. No doubt they'll hold you in place, tho, and that is a huge plus when twisting the car.

As to girth, ahhh, well, when you're as svelte, as muscular, as sleek as I am - then no problemo........
    Yeehah

Roger, it is actually a fiberglass seat from Sterling Replicars that looks close to an original. I built a replica frame and attached it to the seat.
    It is comfortable because it more form fitting to your body.

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Ross,
    With a bad back I don't know if there is much you can do. A lincoln Continental seat maybe.
    Tony

Looks like the seat out of one of my shifter karts.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Upchurch View Post
    Looks like the seat out of one of my shifter karts.

Justin
    It just might be. I probably paid to much for it. Do you have a link to a website for shifter kart seats.
    Tony

http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/seats/seats1.htm

A good shifter kart seat without a cover is $200 - 250, I use the Tillet seat. You can tell that yours was intended to be used in a car because there is not the indention in the middle for the gas tank upright (In a racing kart the gas tank sits between your legs).

People have to make money on these seats, so if you paid between $400 - $700 with a cover it wouldn't surprise me.

Did your times drop after you were more comfortable in the car?

Justin

How about just a lumbar pad? Or, they make lumbar bladders that can be added to seats.....
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com

I had a SPF dealer (shall go un-named because not sure they are supposed to) order me two new SPF seats. We find them very comfortable. You have to tilt them slightly do to the wider back, but fit was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Upchurch View Post
    http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/seats/seats1.htm

A good shifter kart seat without a cover is $200 - 250, I use the Tillet seat. You can tell that yours was intended to be used in a car because there is not the indention in the middle for the gas tank upright (In a racing kart the gas tank sits between your legs).

People have to make money on these seats, so if you paid between $400 - $700 with a cover it wouldn't surprise me.

Did your times drop after you were more comfortable in the car?

Justin
    Haven't had it out to try it. Engine is out and at Southern Automotive for some upgrades. I hope it will be ready by next week.
    Tony

What kind of upgrades are you getting, stroker???

Mine is getting upgraded at the moment. Alan is building a more aerodynamic nose than what is currently on the car. I hope to pick it up June 9th.

Justin

I rebuilt the unique seat

I used my seats from Unique and rebuilt them . I took all the hard foam out and replaced it with slightely soffter foam and added to fit how I wanted the seat to feel . I removed the current Lumbar and changed the lumbar support to better fit my back and lengthened the bottom part of the seat by 1 1/2 inches and removed the bottom seat bulge that was making my leggs numb.

I then cut a large hole in the bottom on the plyboard in the bottom of the seat and re installed webbing .

I added bolts to the bottom of the frt of the seat on both seats so I could adjust the angle of the seat by only turning a bolt with a small wrench .

I was changing the color of the leather anyway so it was easy to make other changes at this time .

I guess you could use the same leather that is originally on the seat from Unique and save some cost .

Now I can ride for hrs. and stay very comfortable and I have less than $20.00 invested in new material except for my time and the new leather .

My Wife did not like riding in the car before I made the changes because she said it was not very comfortable .

Every time it cranks now she want to know where WE are going and can SHE drive .

We had to work out a system to share this car . Mainly I get to drive there and she drives back or the other way around .

Now instead of trying to hide something I want to buy for the car I always here ,''When are we suppose to get that new part you bought for the car ?
    I want to drive it and see if it makes a difference in the performance .

I guess that is the price we pay to not have to sneak around and hide parts etc. that cost money . It also has become alot of fun for us both and we are able to spend alot more quality time together .
    Rick Findley