Thread: Unique Cobras

Unique Cobras

I have never built a kit before and I am considering purchasing a Unique 427. I have researched various manufacturers, e.g. DAX, Factoryfive, Kirkham and ERA. From what I have found out so far the Unique looks good. Can anyone give me some feedback on the quality of the Unique product and their experience with the company?

Cheers!!

Thumbs up

Boy have you come to the right site!!

Prior to buying my rolling pallet kit I researched the different Manufactuers and hands down they have the best engineered kit and in final form the best looking kit. Some things to check are the door gaps, hood gaps, trunk gaps, the parallel-ness of the side pipes to the road, quality of the frame, powdercoated frame, real Jag rear end like the originals quality of the fiberglass body out of the mold. Then there is the Weaver family the Unique family and the customer service, and much much more. They have been building them since 1977 and you don't make it in this industry unless you field a quality product. I could not find my checklist but I am sure the other folks on the site will chime in.

Ralph

Unique Cobras

I have never built a replica car either, I purchased a turnkey UNIQUE FIA in 2000. After being around lots of other UNIQUE owners since then (97.83% are really nice people), listening to their build stories, inspecting their cars, working on my FIA (which is now 9-years old being completed in 1998).....I AM CONVINCED THAT YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH UNIQUE! Owning a Cobra had been a fantacy of mine since 1966 and once I realized that a replica was just as good (actually better), I did a lot of reading, researching and talking. My final ranking put UNIQUE in the Top 3, but when you add in the Weavers, they are #1 as far as I am concerned.
    Dennis M. Swann

Question Why Unique

Excellent service before the sale
    Even better service after the sale
    A quality kit that can be parked next to any car any where and hold its own no matter how much the other kit cost.
    No kit in the industry offers such a complete kit, with high quality components, and an accurately formed body, and it is so easy to build.

AND.......The people
    Unique People are awesome. I do not even own a car anymore but I still hang around because of the people.

I am sure you will be happy and proud of what ever you build.
    I built my car and helped build 2 other cars and if I build another Cobra today it will absolutely be a Unique.

Have fun no matter what you do,
    Last edited by Brent; September 20th, 2007 at 09:05 AM.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

I really like the product and the people. For me, it came down to ERA and Unique, can't really say why I went one way or the other, but I am very happy with my choice. In fact I am fairly certain that my current car will not be my last from Unique.

Justin

Good looking, great product, easy to build and work on, great service and when you call Unique you will talk to one of the owners and builders of the cars.
    They send a package as complete as you want it and this site can help you through your build.

You can't do any better than that.

Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

You said that "I have never built a kit before". A Unique kit is perfect for you. The items that could prevent you from finishing a very high quality street legal vehicle are done when you receive your car. No welding, rigging, or fabrication is required. Unique's cars handle very well and feel very much at home on the race track as well as the street. Many of us have had the opportunity to open them up in amateur racing events.
    I have personally built three Uniques with the first two being for resale.
    My experiences with Unique have been that I received my pallet delivery cars complete, on time, for the price I expected. I have received very good value for the money.
    - Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; June 14th, 2007 at 11:55 AM.

Talking Unique Cobra

I can only concur with all the comments above.
    I've had my 427 since 1992.....built it in my garage with stardard tools.
    Best thing I've ever done.
    Mike
    Mike Geddes

Just a quick postscript to my comments. All three cars were built in a 12' X 16' shed. I did not have my garage at the time of their construction. All three were award winning vehicles. Six trophies on the first, seven on the second, and fifty-one on the third. The first car was buit in three months, two months for the second, and the third took a year due my work schedule, lack of free time, and chasing down special FE parts.
    As Mike said - standard hand tools.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

I agree with all the above statements. My 427 deluxe pallet kit will be here in 4 weeks or so and I can not wait. Like you I have never built a cobra but with basic hand tools you can complete your dream. I am as excited about the build as driving a finished car. Once I met the Weavers and saw the quality of their product I was hooked. You are not just buying a car; you are becoming part of a new family. This site is a wonderful source of information and the people here will go out of their way to help. Good luck with your selection and you definitely can not go wrong with a Unique.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am planning to build the car in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, where I am currently living and then eventually take it back to the UK. Nobody as far as I am aware has ever bulit a Cobra in Dubai before and there might be a few issues in getting the car tested and registered. How do you do this in the US and is it a straight forward process?

Quote Originally Posted by desertcobra View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am planning to build the car in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, where I am currently living and then eventually take it back to the UK. Nobody as far as I am aware has ever bulit a Cobra in Dubai before and there might be a few issues in getting the car tested and registered. How do you do this in the US and is it a straight forward process?
    It should be easy if you have permission from Sheikn Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. If he is a car nut it shouldn't be a problem.

Seriously though, that is something you have to find out on your side. Importing car parts and then registering a scratch build car.
    Go to the place where you get your tags and registration for your car now and see if someone there can help you.

Good Luck
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Start making calls and do your research up front.
    In this country every state has it's own peculiarities.
    Pennsylvania was not bad as far as registration. The manufacturer's statement of origin provided by Unique helps the process. Pennsylvania registration is fairly easy if you provide complete documentation for the origin of parts and have original receipts for all components. The car goes through a preliminary state inspection and the inspection mechanic signs off on the fact that the car meets safety and emission requirements as applicable. Then it comes down to paying registration fees and state taxes. If it appears to the Commonwealth that you are trying to weasle out of paying some of the sales tax your registration could be tied up indefinately. I provided all my receipts, full documentation on construction, and paid 100% of all taxes due as I wanted no delays in the title/registration process. My registration took about three weeks.
    Right now you will have to do your homework for UAE.
    -Geary

Talking Desert Cobra

Hey Alan.....you could put together a Right Hand Drive DPK for the
    guy in Dubia.....no sweat. It would probably be the first Unique not only
    in Dubia but also eventually in the UK.
    Mike
    Mike Geddes