Thread: corroded float bowls

Cool corroded float bowls

Here's an interesting one... I have a new Holley 750 on the car. Afer only a few hundered miles on my newly finished masterpiece it started to flood terribly. At first I thought the float adjustment had come loose, but after removing the float bowl I discovered an excessive amount of what appeared to be corrosion. Something was eating the aluminum casting all around the inside of the float bowls. Pieces of the casting and bits of corrosion were beginning to flake off and.... yea..... At the time I wasn't able to get new float bowls and i wanted to drive, so my local mechanic popped the float bowls in the sandblaster, and they actually cleaned up quite nicely. Problem solved... at least until yesterday. Car started flooding again, and I knew where to look... Sure enough, the float bowls look like I've been running battery acid through them!

...There's more.... Went to the performace shop this evening to pick up a couple new bowls and he said that this it the third time in about a month that he has come across this.... The last one he saw was also a Holley, and it was about 6 years old.... No concrete explanation.

Is this something new with fuel in Colorado? has anyone else come across this? Am I just nuts? Wait - don't answer that....
    Jerry

Thats a new one for me but I just finished a new car that wants to flood out, I will check the bowls. Stay tuned.

Alan

Remedy

...Discovered the problem. The parts shop called Holley about this and apparantly there was a batch of carbs where the casting of the bowls contained a high lead content. They will replace them. ....it's always something.... The joys of tinkering....
    Jerry

Talking

Alright! Leaded Gas!!