Thread: 15" Tire review and Autocross video

15" Tire review and Autocross video

I posted a few months ago (http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=6826) about the 15" tire combo that I am running that's a bit different from the standard Yoko's or BFG's. Nitto Drag radials 275/60 in the back and Pirelli P600 235/60 in front.

There was some discussion about whether the drag radials were suitable for the street (they are) and whether the Pirellis were any better than the BFG's or Yoko's (yep). I said I would post back on my impression of the Pirellis once I got a chance to put them to the test a bit and I was already a big fan of the Nittos. Well, I've been to a few autocrosses, drag strips and put about 1500 miles on them, and I have to say, this is a fantastic combination for all around performance. My confidence in the car has soared, it is much more predictable with a higher limit of adhesion.

As to whether the drag radials are good for anything other than the dragstip and whether the Pirellis perform, I offer this video as evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-x_6Tg6lQ

It's five runs of a night autocross. I ran the car set up exactly the way I drive it on the street, I only checked the tire pressure (24 rear, 26 front). My best was 47.4 secs. For comparison, the Miatas were running high 46's, 47's on the same course, but with the benefit of running while there was still daylight (one guy did turn in a magnificent 43 in a Miata, damn those things ).

There's a small surprise about halfway through, happened in my 3rd run. And the cheerleader you hear in the background is my 2yo daughter, she pops up in the video as well. She already loves to "watch the race cars"!
    Robert
    Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Robert,

Thanks for posting the video and your impressions of your new tire combo. Your daughter's narrative on the video was priceless!

Bob

Thanks for the info Robert.
    Your car sounds good.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs up

Love the commentary
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks guys! Hannah (my daughter) is a trip. The other day she finds my helmets, puts one on (and makes me do the same) and declares, "I wanna be race car driver, too!" Talk about proud papa!

Robert
    Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
    Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Lucky Man

You are a lucky man to have a family there to support your driving passion. I know - I've always said I never could be living this Cobra Adventure without the support of my wife, she even drives , on occasion.