Thread: down to three

down to three

Guys, I have wante to build a Cobra for 25 years now. Now that the kids are gone and my wife supports it, I'm getting close. I Have researched, researched and researched. So now it's down to Unique, Shell, and ERA. I'm interested in hearing the plus and minuses about Unique. The Cobra Club websit gave me insight to the 2 others. So sound off. Thanks..

This topic has come up many times and the members of this forum have listed all the positive attributes of Unique Motorcars and the folks that build and support them (The Weaver's). Your question is timely - a couple of months ago a forum member asked other members to list the Top 10 reasons for selecting Unique. Here is the link - http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...hlight=top+ten

Take some time and read through the various topics on this forum. I think you will find there is a wealth of information contained here with fellow Unique owners/builders ready to lend an unselfish hand. As for "cons" relating to Unique - I honestly can't think of any.

Good luck.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Talking huh??

There are others?

Nah, just had to do that....and your choices are really all good ones. Shell Valley cars - the ones I've seen - are pretty nice; not much you can find too awful in one. However, the ones I've seen also had regular 9" Ford straight axles in 'em - which, I admit, are bulletproof and so what if it's not an independent rear. Except......independent rears really do get better traction, which in these cars is kinda important. They also ride better, and on rougher road surfaces the handling diff is very discernable - MUCH better in the independent car. ERA builds a beautiful piece - you aren't going to find a replica more authentic to the originals (except maybe Kirkham), they're quality throughout, they look right from all angles, they're just real nice cars. They do also have a strong bias towards bigblock motors, which if that's where you're headed, is just fine. They will also cost you a healthy 25%+ more to build than.........................................Uniqu e.

Unique's cars are also high quality builds, front to back and top to bottom; they look right from every angle; they have independent rears (Jag) that work very, very well; they will take about any engine you wanna put into them (Modulars excepted ); they handle every bit as well as any other out there, hi-buck cars included; and you can build one, the way you want, usually for far less than any other out there in the same class. Add into this factory support that makes you smile just thinking about it, and ready access to parts and add-ons that are second to NObody.

The more I drive this car, the more I WANT to drive it. It is everything I ever thought a Cobra would/should be. There are no disappointments in Unique.
    Yeehah

What Turnpike boy said. The car is tight and solid on the road at all speeds. The steering is quick. fit and finish is excellent. Body is straight which is a big factor for me as I painted my car black.
    IRS rear is a big +++ do not get a Cobra with a live axle. Your ride comfort will be greatly reduced as the axle travel is limited.

Negatives.

Needs a larger fuel tank for longer cruises. I can only squeeze 17 gallons in the 20 gallon tank.
    There are some little minor things that every kit has but nothing that stands out in my mind and that you won't have with any manufacturer.

The Unique is a high quality Car.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Why Unique Motorcars?

Experience/Knowledge/Options/Choices/Authentic Appearance/Safety in Strength/Relationships/Geometry/Balance/Resale Value/Built in America/Reliability and Reputation.
    I could tell you more..........

Thanks

Guys. thanks for the insight. The more I talk to owners the more I am convinced that the IRS is the way to go. moving into my 52 nd year here in a couple days the ride thing and drivability becomes more important. The conversatios that I have had with the ERA guys suprise me. I really want to go the 351w route for drivability. They seem a bit put off when you suggest that. Now my time will be spent further researching my options to lisence the car in Cal. Thanks again..

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Do yourself a favor and go visit the Weavers. Your decision will be easy, then. Also, talk to your fellow Californian Unique owners... they'll help, too.

(Truthfully, the insight you get will help no matter what you choose. But I bet if you go you'll become a family member.)
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

thank

I'm going to do that. The compamy I work for has an operation in Cartersville, Ga. I end up there once in a while. Doesn't look like its but a couple hours drive.

Thumbs up

Good! Definitely worth the trip... you will smile all the way back to the west coast... and then some!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Cartersville is about an hour and a half from Gadsden, it would be a nice scenic drive. If you have some questions that have not been answered give me a call at 256-546-2395.

Alan Weaver

Ca. registration is very particular but with lots of planning you can make it fairly painless. Look up SB. 100(senate Bill 100) you can get the forms on line, You need to be first in line at the DMV the first business day after Jan. 1 Ca.gives 500 exemtions to smog. sevaral years ago it took two months to give them all out, now they go in a day or two. after you get the exemption # you must go to a smog referee and get smog checked (a formality with the exemption), you must also get brake and lamp checks, highway patrol will issue Vin #, you need official weigh station wieght prior to B&L insp. Don't leave DMV without that exemtion #, I was #257, it took them about 5 hours to get through by phone to the DMV dept that gives out the #'s. if you don't get an exemption # i believe you must get the vehicle smogged based on the motor year , i think there are other drawbacks too.

Thanks

Thanks for all your input. It's nice to see that there is alot of support for the kit.

Keep us posted on your progress toward a decision. Good luck!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Uniques are quality cars with the right look for "purists" such as myself, and you don't have to break the bank to own one. I put about 2500 miles a year on my car, and drive it hard at the road course, autocross, and dragstrip, and it takes it like a champ and comes back for more.

IMO, there are only three companies out there who produce a car that is technically more asthetically accurate to the originals than the Unique, meaning body/interior only (once the hood is open or you crawl under them, it becomes obvious that they are all replicas). Those companies are Shelby, Kirkham, and ERA. I estimated that an ERA would have cost me $15-20K more than my Unique, and the Shelby or Kirkham...well forget it. They would have been 3-4X as much as my car. So you can't get a more accurate replica for the money than a Unique.

I get asked at car shows and cruise nights all the time, "Is this a replica?", versus the question that I hear owners of other brands get, "Which kit is this?". It's flattering for me to hear that, and to know that even some "car guys" have to look a bit harder at my car before they realize it's not the real deal. Now of course some of that has to do with how the cars are finished, but I still think it speaks to the over all original-look of the Unique brand.

Customer service from the Weavers has always been prompt and friendly, something I really appreciate considering I bought my car used from it's original owner and builder, and not directly from Unique. That just shows you the dedication they have to taking care of the folks that own, drive, and represent their products.

You can't go wrong with a Unique.
    Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue

My two cents
    As a 20 year+ Unique owner I can tell you that you will not be dissapointed. Since I "built" my car in the beginning and am now in the middle of a complete rebuild I can offer one suggestion. Consider getting the Weavers to do as much as possable or at least supply you with as much of what you need as possable. Buying parts one at a time is a pain and the shipping will kill you. The Weavers only supply quality parts and they will treat you well. As far as the difference between ERA and Unique they are very different but the result is the same. For myself the extra cost of an ERA would be best spent having Unique build you as complete car as possable. The ERA is an excellent car and I would be happy to own one but I am a fan of Unique and especially of the Weavers.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    My two cents
    As a 20 year+ Unique owner I can tell you that you will not be dissapointed. Since I "built" my car in the beginning and am now in the middle of a complete rebuild I can offer one suggestion. Consider getting the Weavers to do as much as possable or at least supply you with as much of what you need as possable. Buying parts one at a time is a pain and the shipping will kill you. The Weavers only supply quality parts and they will treat you well. As far as the difference between ERA and Unique they are very different but the result is the same. For myself the extra cost of an ERA would be best spent having Unique build you as complete car as possable. The ERA is an excellent car and I would be happy to own one but I am a fan of Unique and especially of the Weavers.
    Ed
    Both ERA and Unique are quality products. Both are strong and built to last. Both companies provide excellent customer support. They are both replicas, and as such, I simply couldn't justify spending the significant extra money on the ERA. You're really not getting anything for that added expenditure.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD