Thread: It's Alive !!!!!!!

It's Alive !!!!!!!

The SA 406 came to life at 9:24 EST. Euphoria !! The last major hurdle towards completion (I hope !!) was cleared tonight. After 229 calls to Alan "The Cobra" and Lyle at SA, I worked all the rookie roadblocks out and the stimulating aroma of exhaust filled the garage. So far I have only found one leak, the fuel feed into the carb. I did not let it run long enough to open the thermostat so the water leak test is next. The carb is a little rough on idle but I assume that settles out once the engine gets to know me better.

Now, member advise is needed here. What obvious points on the engine and plumbing are notorious leak areas?

I close with my first initiation act; after shutting off the engine, I started the leak search. Well of course I climbed under the car and was astute enough to use the fender as leverage as I set out to check for oil leaks. In approximately .004 seconds my SEG (grin) turned into a sizzling sound as my upper arm rested comfortably on the header. I am now looking for advise on how to remove skin from the header.

I hope someone out there has a better story of hot header encounters to ease the dumb feeling that followed the burning feeling.

Thanks to all for the great advise.

Ric
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

Ric,

Congratulations! There is nothing quite like hearing that roar for the first time. If you have an SA 406, I'm assuming you also have the Holley with the electric choke. Make sure you have a hot lead (when the ignition is on) wired to the choke. I could never get mine to work correctly until I loosened the screws on the choke cap and turned to where it just begin to open the choke plate. Holley has manuals on their web site that are useful, if you are interested.

Good luck, and again - CONGRATULATIONS...... now go put something on that arm
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Red face

Glad to hear of your success, but sorry to hear you got bit by the snake!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Talking

Congratulations on your Cobra Tatoo! It's part of the initiation process!

Ralph

Ric,

Congrats for reaching another mile stone with the build.

The skin on the header will just flake off after it cooks long enough. Tastes just like chicken!

Like rapping your head on the quick jacks, you just learned another lesson on what will bite you when you craw under one of these cars. Hopefully you only have to be reminded once!!!

Good luck. Oh, a leak can come from almost anywhere when two liquid carrying devices are joined together. I know of no one place you should check first, just take your time to check and retighten all connections.

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Good going Ric! My neighbors always think it is thundering when I fire my car up and roll out.

Oh Yeah, the headers and side pipes get hot so be careful!
    Go see a doctor about that burn if is blistering. I did a search on CC, there is some prescription ointment that will keep it from scaring but I couldn't find the name of it.

I usually check under the car from 2 feet away and put both hands on the ground.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Congrats

Ric, and welcome .Yea, we all got burned too, and still get sizzled now and then, a little part of being around these cars.Good luck and let us know how she runs. I think you are going to like it.Will-alabama

New Engine Advice

If your engine came from Southern Automotive, you got a manual. Read it and do it. Now read it again and really do it.
    One of the most exciting days of my life (first engine run up).
    Good luck and stay sunny side up!

Way to go Ric!!!................ Congratulations!!!!

I was so carefull getting out of the Cobra after the first start up not to get burned (it sounded so Great and scared the you know what out of you!) but as I leaned over to adjust the idle speed............... as they say the rest is history!

Very small tatoo is still visible on the front of the ankle!!!
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

Way to go Ric - great feeling....

No good header/exhaust burn stories hear - only person to burn themselves so far has been a mechanic I had do an adjustment and alignment. Had it up on the rack after a drive and reached under - burned is inner forearm. Didn't look like fun.

Leak areas I have been struggling with on my 406 are oil from the remote filter mount as well as back by the rear seal. SA is fixing the issue by the rear seal as we speak (leaks out of the bellhousing but only when driving - will post solution). Remote cooler mount was more difficult - was the oil pressure guage attachment. Needed to seal the threads.

Good luck

Dave

On the subject of burn scars and war wounds. We all have our particular battle wounds that are unique to us and our vehicle. When I modified my hood scoop I accidentally cut myself and have so much of my blood mixed into layers of fiberglass the we are considered generational kin. According to Shakespeare these scars are to be cherished and shown with pride. (Forgive me if I wax Poetic)

Henry V battle scene.
    "Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
    Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day"

Many years from today you'll look back and "remember with advantages" the really cool times had while getting those little scars.

Stay sport-minded
    -Geary

burn

my last one,happened quick as a new york minute,drove over to interstate, pulled into station, shut her off, reached with right hand-while laying on my backunder to tighten clutch just a little, when i brought aem back out from under car brushed big side pipe with inside of right arm, felt it, but not that bad. Drove two miles back to the house and Joan asked what happened to your arm--I looked and good gosh girty what a burn, skin came off but no scar. Was a superficial flash burn.Barely remember that i touched pipe.That,s my story, about a year now, and I,M sticking with it. Truth of it was we,d been sipping on that dixie lightning, had some words-as usual i didn,t get to say mine, she threw hot grease from skillet on that arm,but i still love her.

A little "Bama Shine".

Reminds me of great nights in Huntsville/Madison area.

- Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; July 12th, 2007 at 12:12 AM.

Another

tattoo to show off this am, right wrist-back of hand, big bandage,Will-alabama