Thread: Radiator Adventure

Unhappy Radiator Adventure

As I was pulling into a local service station yesterday, a friendly patron remarked that I was losing coolant. Sure enough, green stuff was pouring out from the general vicinity of the radiator. Fortunately, I was only five miles from home, so I made back without incident. After waiting a couple of hours, I started my detective work. I checked the puller fan and the left side bracket for it looked uncomfortably close to the radiator. I pulled the fan and sure enough there was a leak directly behind the fastener holding the fan to the bracket. I quickly discovered why the radiator had contacted the bracket .... the bolt through the radiator tab had loosened .. a lot!

The only upside to the loose bolt was not needing a socket to remove it. Never occurred to me that it would loosen up. I'd recommend you all take a look and see if your radiator is properly anchored.

I'll find out tomorrow if the radiator can be repaired ...

Bob

If your radiator is copper and brass they should be able to repair it. Over time any bolt can loosen up especially if the builder didn't use lock nuts. I recommend checking as many bolts as you can get to every year or so.

Alan

If it's one of the Aluminum Griffin radiators, you're out of luck - not repairable as the core is epoxied, not brazed to the side tanks.
    '66 GT-350H : '69 428SCJ Mach 1
    '70 Boss 302 : '93 SVT Cobra
    '72 Pantera

Cool Radiator

Alan is right. My car was completed in 1998 and gets a thorough tightening at least annually. Luckly, I have a hydraulic lift in my garage which makes the chore pretty enjoyable. It typically takes two beers to complete since I both work and drink slowly.
    Dennis M. Swann

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. As Alan said, and is discussed frequently - everything needs to be tightened periodically.... even the least obvious. Almost lost a door once, and most recently a door latch!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Red face

Just a quick update: my local radiator guy (Ed at Arctic Radiator Service in Bremerton WA) repaired the leak for $40. I was really surprised he could fix it .. he said it's tricky but doable. He also expressed his opinion about aluminum radiators in general (not very positive). Just for grins, I asked him how much a replacement copper and brass radiator would cost .... $900 ... ouch! I reinstalled it today, filled it up with coolant and took her out for a forty mile test ride. Didn't leak a drop! Life is good.

Bob

The Cobra Gods smiled on you today $40 - Not too shabby.... you have to feel good about that!!!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

They sure did! I'm one happy camper ..

Bob

Bob, what did he use or do to fix the radiator?

Ralph

Ralph,

According to Ed, he "wire brushed, etched, then used a special hot melt process" to fix the leak. Says he's been using for over twenty years. I found the following video on the internet that sure looks like how it's done ...

http://www.muggyweld.com/1clip3.html

Bob

Thumbs up

Thanks Bob pretty neat. It appeared very little heat was applied. I'll make a note to reference this clip for the future. If it fails let us know...

Ralph

I wonder what is in the Super Alloy 1...?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    I wonder what is in the Super Alloy 1...?

...........well.........we COULD tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.......
    Yeehah

Damn..... he made that look simple on the video. Good to know
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeBoy View Post
    ...........well.........we COULD tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.......
    JB weld works on the radiator too.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear