Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally bought one...HI

Nice looking Unique! Watch out for that phil (pgermond) he asks alot of questions because he retired early and is independently wealthy.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

(lol) Oh that "Master" retire early, yes..... independent, you bet your a$$..... wealthy.... it's all a matter of perspective.

Now that we have that out of the way - what are the details surrounding your car, which by the way, looks really nice. I'm still kicking myself for not going red.... or maybe black!!!

btw - it's a helphul bunch here, so if you have questions - don't hesitate.
    Last edited by pgermond; July 31st, 2007 at 06:44 PM.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

dave, your car looks outstanding. i think theres 5 members on this forum from connecticut. where are you located? the best place to run into connecticut unique owners is in alabama during the second week of may. once in a while i`ll run into one at mark`s in east granby on monday nights. its about a 300 to 400 car show (on a good night). check it out if youve never been to it.

brent, still havent seen your car, even though its only less than 10 miles from me. i have heard its still intact.

later, brian

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBP View Post
    Just ratteling your cage a little, they want to know all about your car, who built it, what type is it 289 or 427 etc.
    Welcome to the Unique Crew. Jerry
    The builders name was John Miller...anybody know him?
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by brfutbrian View Post
    dave, your car looks outstanding. i think theres 5 members on this forum from connecticut. where are you located? the best place to run into connecticut unique owners is in alabama during the second week of may. once in a while i`ll run into one at mark`s in east granby on monday nights. its about a 300 to 400 car show (on a good night). check it out if youve never been to it.

brent, still havent seen your car, even though its only less than 10 miles from me. i have heard its still intact.

later, brian
    Alabama, sorry, I don't get it?
    I am in Southbury CT, Granby is a little far for a cruise nite for me, there are plenty near me, maybe one of these days though
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

dave, the weavers have a get together called homecoming during the second weekend of may. havent missed one since i built my car in 2001. theres two other members from connecticut that have driven thier cars to every homecoming the weavers have ever had (13).
    later, brian

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    (lol) Oh that "Master" retire early, yes..... independent, you bet your a$$..... wealthy.... it's all a matter of perspective.

Now that we have that out of the way - what are the details surrounding your car, which by the way, looks really nice. I'm still kicking myself for not going red.... or maybe black!!!

btw - it's a helphul bunch here, so if you have questions - don't hesitate.
    thanks a lot...I have many questions actually.
    It appears to have the wrong size tires on the back. It has 255 60 15, on the 11 wide compomotive wheel, I have been told I should go with a 295 50 15 on the rears,,,any opinoions?
    Also trying to sort out the brake bias, back brakes are locking up when applied hard, fronts are not, and car is not stopping like it should.Also make the brake pedal closer to the floor
    I want to do valve cover gaskets, change to a 180 degreee thermostat(car is running at about 155 when moving right along, that is to cold in my opinion), flush out the entire cooling system of all the dexcool, and replace it with "prestone all make". Figure out the heat and defrost controls. I got a tonneuo cover with the car, but it was never installed, I'm thinking about it!
    I have a clunking/creaking in the back occasionally when taking a turn, it may just be stuff in the trunk.also want to check U-joints.
    I want to grease the whole car..any precautions I should know about.
    Thanks in advance for any advice given....Dave

How about some good books and how to's on my car???
    Dave

Absolutely - 295x50x15's on the rear.

Do a search on the brake bias.... or better yet get a remote brake bias that mounts under the dash and do your adjustments on the fly - http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ote+brake+bias

I don't know what you have for an engine, but if it's an FE it needs to be a 180 thermostat at minimum http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ght=thermostat

I just run H2O and a little Prestone for coolant... nothing fancy. I have a SPAL puller that does wonders keeping things from getting too hot (do a search on "SPAL" - lots of info). Examples -
    http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...highlight=spal

If you have the posi/power locker rear end the clunking/creaking issue is addressed here - http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...=anti+friction

The car should have indentations where the toneau pins screw in. Call Alan for advice on what and what not do when installing the pins.

Books?!? You don't need no stinking books!!!.... you have this whole Unique family available to answer your questions! Actually, I bought an ERA manual when I built my car, which was some help.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
    Absolutely - 295x50x15's on the rear.

Do a search on the brake bias.... or better yet get a remote brake bias that mounts under the dash and do your adjustments on the fly - http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ote+brake+bias

I don't know what you have for an engine, but if it's an FE it needs to be a 180 thermostat at minimum http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ght=thermostat

I just run H2O and a little Prestone for coolant... nothing fancy. I have a SPAL puller that does wonders keeping things from getting too hot (do a search on "SPAL" - lots of info). Examples -

If you have the posi/power locker rear end the clunking/creaking issue is addressed here - http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...=anti+friction

The car should have indentations where the toneau pins screw in. Call Alan for advice on what and what not do when installing the pins.

Books?!? You don't need no stinking books!!!.... you have this whole Unique family available to answer your questions! Actually, I bought an ERA manual when I built my car, which was some help.
    Thanks a lot Phil, looks like I have a little research to do, but unfortunately it will be a few days before I will be able to dio anything.
    I dont know about a posi locker...I do have a JAG rear with 354's, and it is POSI. also, have aFE / 428
    See My Sig
    Dave

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    Thanks a lot Phil, looks like I have a little research to do, but unfortunately it will be a few days before I will be able to dio anything.
    I dont know about a posi locker...I do have a JAG rear with 354's, and it is POSI. also, have aFE / 428
    See My Sig
    The posi thread link is not working
    Dave

Regarding the clunk in the rear end, there is a very important thread to read (several actually, one by bittentoo, one by casaleenie, one by buzz) about breaking bolts that hold the rear suspension pivots onto the differential. It's unlikely that this is the problem, however, this is a topic that every Unique owner should be aware of and monitoring. There are a few fasteners on these cars that are critical safety components...That's definitely one of them!
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Quote Originally Posted by nolastyankee View Post
    Regarding the clunk in the rear end, there is a very important thread to read (several actually, one by bittentoo, one by casaleenie, one by buzz) about breaking bolts that hold the rear suspension pivots onto the differential. It's unlikely that this is the problem, however, this is a topic that every Unique owner should be aware of and monitoring. There are a few fasteners on these cars that are critical safety components...That's definitely one of them!

Very interesting, do you have any links to these threads?
    Dave

David,
    Try the search tool with the keywords "broken bolt" and look for the threads from the users I referenced above. All three came back when I ran the seach this afternoon.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Quote Originally Posted by nolastyankee View Post
    David,
    Try the search tool with the keywords "broken bolt" and look for the threads from the users I referenced above. All three came back when I ran the seach this afternoon.
    I did it and it worked good, that first thgread is scary, but ran out of time...I will get back to it tomorrow...Thanks
    Dave

David, this has been a rare issue with this type of Jaguar rear-end on all of the many types of replicas that use them. Cars that are driven very hard (and I mean very hard) are more susceptible.

If you'd ever spent any time around Bittentoo, you'd understand what it means to thoroughly thrash a car.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Well, once I get this linkage thing out of the way and I can kick in the 4 barrels fully...Let the thrashing begin...LOL!
    Dave

So what does he do anyway?
    Dave