Thread: Jag Rear Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jag Rear Questions

A few weeks ago, the little noise from my rear got worse. After doing some talking to others and reading some internet postings, it appeared that the likely candidate were the stub axle bearings. So I drop the rear and drain the gear oil into a plastic pan that I placed a magnet in. Some fine metal particles show up. Not a lot; maybe enough to make a BB. And probably enough to grind away at the other bearings and gears..........

I also pull the right side stub axle and have a look at the bearings and races. Show signs of wear, but I don't have a clue of when or if the thing has ever been rebuilt. (I'm the third owner of this 26 year old car.)

From the picture below, it appears that the year of the rear is 69. The stub axle bearings used by Jaguar were ball bearings between the years of 69 thru 73, and the ones in my rear end are the ball type. These ball bearings are no longer available. Some internet postings say that the later '74-'87, '76-'87, and '89-'95 XJS tapered roller bearings are direct replacement.

I call Butch Capps and he confirms that replacement ball bearings are no longer available. He also stated that "some" of these vintage rears will not accept the later tapered roller bearings. He couldn't say which ones, but would be glad to rebuild my rear end if it is one that would accept the newer bearing. If it can't, the rear is junk.

I know that Butch is considered the Jag rear guru, and I don't doubt his knowledge or statements. I'm just asking if anyone else has ever been down this road, or knows someone who has that may be able to identify the rear by the info in the photo to determine if this rear can be rebuilt using the later tapered roller bearings.

If not, and the rear is toast, anyone know of a source of rebuilt rears or used ones suitable for rebuild? (Butch rebuilds for Unique, but does not stock rebuilt or rebuildable cores)

- Jim -
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland