Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally New..

Totally New..

Hello all,
    Discovered this site while researching Cobra Kit Manufacturers. DIY did a couple of shows a while back using the Unique Kit and with all I have seen and read so far I am impressed. It is nearly time to start working on my mid-life crisis mobile and plan on making a visit to the factory in the near future even though I know it will only fuel the fire

From reading the posts it seems like a good community here, hopefully soon I will have something to contribute.

That was my car on DIY.

Ralph

Welcome Vick.

You will definitely enjoy the build and the ride.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tvick66 View Post
    Hello all,
    .......and plan on making a visit to the factory in the near future even though I know it will only fuel the fire
    And as close as you are to them, the fire is gonna rage until you have one sitting in your garage.

Jus do it - you won't regret anything you will have done.
    Yeehah

Welcome. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was unhappy with the choice.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Life is abour Choices

Make yours UNIQUE MOTORCARS, you'll be very happy! We are and it's been 4 years so far. Could honestly say, if I had to, I'd unquestionably chose the Unique car all over again.

I went past Pelham this morning on a return trip after moving my son Chris to Montevallo University. I would be glad to show you around when you get ready.

Alan

While you may get the impression that we're all a little biased toward Unique Motorcars, the truth is our overall satisfaction with all aspects of our individual choices. Besides the very best in quality and workmanship that goes into each and every car, the family like feeling you gain from the entire Weaver family is a bonus you receive when you purchase one of their cars.
    My first experience with them was when I became the third owner of a then 20 year old car. I had many questions that were gladly fielded by them and I never got the impression that I was bothering them. They truly stand behind what they sell. You won't be disappointed.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Study the Uniques and their owners and you'll be impressed with the car quality and this fine group.

-Geary

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said...... other than you being so close - what has taken you so long?!?!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks all!!

I did expect a little bias, in fact I was sort of hoping to find that, it's usually a sign of positive experiences But having spent some time on Cobra Country and reading the forums of the other kit manufacturers it seems clear that Unique has both a great product and service to match. I looked at Kirkham, FFR, and Backdraft, and ruled out the first two pretty quickly. The BDR kit is a longer wheel base and uses BMW front and rear ends but they are made in South Africa and they don't sell to the public, only through dealers. The fact that Unique is here in Alabama and that the Weavers are active members on the forum is just too much for the competition.

Alan,
    It hopefully won't be too long before I call, we have to travel by Gadsden to see both sets of families so I'll just need to work out a Friday or Monday and make a short detour. I hope your son likes Montevallo, we have interviewed quite a few graduates from there and hired most of them. The only one we didn't was a lack of experience compared to the other applicants but we hope to find something else to get him on the team.

pgermond,
    Never really considered a kit car or replica until a friend showed me the DIY show where they built Ralph's car. I had always thought they required a donor car and years worth of time to complete. I used to have an '87 Dodge Shelby Charger and it was the most fun driving I have ever had so that started my interest in anything with Shelby's name. And since it has been twenty years since I've had any fun, it's time to be a kid again, if only for a couple of hours on the weekend! Plus the Cobra is so much better looking than that Turbo K car.

Quote Originally Posted by tvick66 View Post
    I looked at Kirkham, FFR, and Backdraft, and ruled out the first two pretty quickly. The BDR kit is a longer wheel base and uses BMW front and rear ends but they are made in South Africa....
    Sounds like we took somewhat the same journey getting to Unique. I wanted the car to be period correct and to put the car together myself, in addition I didn't particularly care for a Mustang wrapped in fiberglass..... or spending all my kids inheritance

Good luck on whatever decision you make.
    Last edited by pgermond; August 19th, 2007 at 09:30 PM.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Go for it. You will not be disappointed. The Weavers build a great product and have the best customer service in the industry. I pick-up my Deluxe Pallet car in 11 days, 10 hrs, 48 min and 50, 49, 48, 47, 46, 45sec and counting.

Vic

welcome, come on in and set a spell,these fellas will help you, tons of ability at your fingertips. Picked up pallet kit in august drove car in christmas parade first of november.I winged it on a prayer, at best. It worked.Welcome, come on in and make yourself at home.Will-alabama

Smile

Just for the record Ralph built Ralph's car not DIY.
    It was an experience that is beyond compare. I loved it and want to build another. The DIY timetable for the car was rough as I had to meet their filming schedule of the assembly. Everything had to be assembled; then dissasembled, so they could assemble it for the show; then I had to disassmble it; and put it back together in a permanent manner. No Joke! As an example, down to the headerbolts. I had to work with them so that the headerbolts would finger tighten the headers to the heads for filming demonstration. As the show reflects it was done in stages as was my work. the only break I had in the schedule was when the body was getting painted and that is when I did the chassis and running in the engine to find leaks and try to get the carburation close. I had some great help and advice from Butch Capps and Dan Fowler. I am very proud of the final product I think it is the best work I have ever done. I learned a ton! Hey I even got Kudos from my dad! I did write a long documentation of the build, everything step by step. I provided a copy to Alan to review to see what he thought of it and if he wanted to use it for a future Unique manual...its been a few years since I gave it to Alan I wanted him to technically proof it so I didn't steer someone wrong.

I hope you buy one and build it, I believe you will enjoy the build, if this is possible, more than driving the car.

Ralph

A few thoughts:

Take a notebook or legal pad and put it where it's very handy so you can jot down the many questions that you'll come up with. Address them with the Weavers or this forum and get your answers upfront.

You said that you sensed some bias - actually it is a lot of bias mixed with an awful lot of pride in our cars and accomplishments. Some cruise, some race, any many show their Uniques on a regular basis.

You'll find when you get your Unique you become the local "Cool Car Guy" and will be known in your community.

- Geary

Smile

"You'll find when you get your Unique you become the local "Cool Car Guy" and will be known in your community.

- Geary"

Geary has got it right.

They hang out car windows as they go by --waving yelling thumbs up etc. It is amazing it really does put a huge smile on your face. You also get those who go by as fast as they can to show that their car has got something -- which says a lot. Fun

Ralph

The first ride in my 1991 build was a warm sunny day. My 14 year old son was along for the ride. We were both totally amazed at the number of positive waves , salutes, comments, etc.. The day's highlight was a stunning blonde wearing a small bikini top hanging out of a car window to her navel to photograph us at speed. She was literally hanging way out at 70 MPH on interstate 81 just north of Harrisburg. I do believe my son thought I was a god that day(one of the lesser deities)

As for being known - local strangers will routinely walk up and say - I know you. Aren't you the guy with the blonde and the Cobra? (different blonde -my wife) They don't remember my name but do remember the car and her.

-Geary

Thumbs up

What about Parades!! The high point of local parades is the cars and they love the Lil Cobra. As I recall Will drove his in the stadium at 'Bama.

Ralph

Well, the first decision has been made, the kit will definately be a Unique

Thanks for setting me straight Ralph, I might be pestering you to publish that manual!

And Geary, excellent tip, I have a list of questions that I will take with me when I go to the factory and will use everyone here after that.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's comments!