Thread: Headlights

Headlights

I took my first drive in the dark last week and I quickly noticed the headlights are less than adequate. I found some Lucas tri-bar halogen replicas with a reflector and a clear lense center and they are GREAT! The lamps that come with the car start to diffuse at about 3 feet. The new ones support vision at 70 mph with no problem. I got them from Barry Kutz at kustomkarparts.com for 68.00 a pair.

Original............................. New Headlight

Original............................. New headlight

Brent

Brent,

They look great, but I'm too scared to drive my car at night!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Who needs lights? [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Those look great and I think that is the best price I have seen for a pair. I will have to give them a call!
    Thanks
    Rick

brent, I tried to go online for these guys but they are closed until April 12. I love those lights and Ruby needs them too or I need stronger glasses!

Sundown

How do you adjust the new bulbs for correct aiming?

Sundown

There are two adjustment screws on each headlight that you can change the direction with.
    Remove the phillips screw from the bottom of the trim ring and remove the chrome ring. You will see 6 phillips head screws surrounding the headlight. 3 of the screws hold the headlight to the adjustment ring,1 screw threads into the plastic housing, and 2 screws (12 o'clock and 9 o'clock) are the adjustment screws. Do not remove the adjustment screws, they slide in and out of a angled slot in the retainer ring.

Brent

I got a set of these lights and somehow during install screwed up the aiming. What's the easiest method you guys use to align headlights?

I installed a set on my car this winter lov'em, lots of good light. We like to cruise at night in the summer, cooler but more bugs to clean-up. These are way better got mine from Kutz as well $68

Ralph

I don't have my kit yet but I saw this thread and ordered a set.I like the look of the tri-bars, the extra light is a bonus.

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

To bump my question - what's the easiest way to set adjustments on these? I've heard just park next to another car and get the light patter to fall similarly, someone else said park ## feet away from the garage wall and the top of the light should be no higher than ## feet. ????

I have a seam down the center of the street in my subdivision. I pulled out in the street and used the seam as the centerline and the curb as the road edge. I sat in the car and picked a point that I liked on the street and then aimed them accordingly. So far so good.

I do love these lights. The visibility is "day and night" different from the other ones.

Have fun!!

Brent
    427 SC Chassis #4279401
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I took my first drive in the dark last week and I quickly noticed the headlights are less than adequate. I found some Lucas tri-bar halogen replicas with a reflector and a clear lense center and they are GREAT! The lamps that come with the car start to diffuse at about 3 feet. The new ones support vision at 70 mph with no problem. I got them from Barry Kutz at kustomkarparts.com for 68.00 a pair.

Original............................. New Headlight

Original............................. New headlight

Brent
    They look great, I went to that site and cannot find them at all! Could you supply a phone # so I could get a pair...Thanks
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

David check my blog posting under References and go down to headlights. you will find Barry's address. I have Tribars on Lil' Cobra

Ralph

These lights can be purchased from all sorts of places - try searching Google under tri-bar headlights and you'll get any number of street rod sites selling the same thing. I purchased the same pair for our 289.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"